Skip navigation

How can I find out what is causing my MacBook Pro to crash from time to time?

1669 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 5:58 AM by Shootist007 RSS
Pieter J. Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 23, 2012 6:28 AM

Last couple of weeks it has happened several (15+) times that my MacBook Pro suddenly stopped responding. It starts with one or two programs that stop responding then I try to force quit them and then Finder freezes. I'm unable to get out of this freeze to proberly shut down my system so I allways need to force shut down my MB Pro using the fysical power button. Yesterday I was working for 2 hours on a document and I lost it due to my system again freezing up.

How can I find out which soft- or hardware component is causing this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Intel 320 SSD, 8GB RAM
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,890 points)

Start by running the extended version of the Apple Hardware Test.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Step 1

Select "system.log" from the file list. Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the times of the log messages referring to boot times. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time when you had the problem. Post the messages logged during the time something abnormal was happening. That time might be before or after the boot.

For example, if the problem is a slow startup taking three minutes, post the messages timestamped within three minutes after the boot time, not before. If the problem is a crash or a shutdown hang, post the messages from before the boot time, when the system was about to crash or was failing to shut down. In either case, please include the BOOT_TIME message at the beginning or the end of the log extract.

Post the log text, please, not a screenshot. If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

Some personal information, such as the names of your files, may be included — edit that out, too, but don’t remove the context.

If the log doesn't go back far enough in time, scroll down in the Console file list to /private/var/log/system.log.0.bz2. Search that archived log, and if necessary the older ones below it, for the same information.

Step 2

Do the same with kernel.log.

Step 3

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the most recent one, if any. For privacy’s sake, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post shutdownStall or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

• Shootist007 Level 6 Level 6 (16,640 points)

Pieter J. wrote:

Unless there is a way to check in the logs where I shut my macbook down using the power button, I will await the next time my system freezes to copy those parts of the logs.

Well if you remember the day (date) and approximate time the last freeze happened you can find those logs.

If not then I guess you're going to have to wait.

If you look in the All Messages area the first log entry should be something like "BOOT_TIME" with some numbers after it.

Then in System.log the same.

In Kernel.log I see the same as what you posted except for the date. Your date is for January so there must be newer logs.

Sorry I don't have any Crash Report logs as my system has never crashed.

Please include the BOOT_TIME message in your log extracts, as requested earlier.

Uninstall Sophos as directed by the developer. See whether there's an improvement.

Pieter J. wrote:

I have uninstalled Sophos, but where exactly do you see this? "directed by the developer"

Go to the delvopers website and follow their instructions for removing the program.

That is what Linc meant.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.