Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viruses on macbook pro!

I think my macbook pro has a virus and it is only 4 months old!! A box keeps flickering on my screen every now and again-it goes so quick i cannot read it but I can see that there is an error sign on it. In addition to this, my mouse doesnt work at times! Does anyone know what this could be, Im so upset to have spent so much money and to have caught this bug-whatever it is-so early on! Any help would be greatly appreciated as Im afraid that my personal information isnt safe on my computer anymore!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3), Help!

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:38 AM

You don't have a virus. You may be able to find that error message if you run Console.app.

Have you checked the battery level in your mouse?

4 replies

Apr 26, 2012 8:03 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your advice! 🙂

I spotlighted console as soon as that box flashed up on my screen again. It turned out to be something facebook-related im pretty sure because it has happened a few times and every time i check console it says something about facebook trying to connect video chat (although i have not attempted to use video-chat at all during these instances)

Also, I use the mouse on my laptop, not a plug-in. Although, I havent had any trouble with my mouse since. Do you know, If I had a virus would mac notify me through a software update?

Apr 26, 2012 8:12 PM in response to HollieRoche

HollieRoche wrote:

I spotlighted console as soon as that box flashed up on my screen again. It turned out to be something facebook-related im pretty sure because it has happened a few times and every time i check console it says something about facebook trying to connect video chat (although i have not attempted to use video-chat at all during these instances)

What does that say? You can copy the console message and paste it here.

Also, I use the mouse on my laptop, not a plug-in. Although, I havent had any trouble with my mouse since. Do you know, If I had a virus would mac notify me through a software update?

There are no viruses to be gotten. There are a few versions of weak malware. Just run Software Update for those. Your Facebook message could be related to Flash. It is important to keep Flash updated as well because it is the source of most Mac malware. To check your version of Flash and update, go to this site: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Apr 26, 2012 10:25 PM in response to HollieRoche

When you connect to Facebook Chat it may be trying to load up the hooks that allow the built-in video chat function to work via the Facebook site. This is usually indicative of a flash update being needed, though the full error text may be needed to fully diagnose. Note: you wouldn't have to be doing video chat on Facebook to receive the errors since it tries to load this stuff up by default anyway.

viruses on macbook pro!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.