Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White Screen of Death Questions [PLEASE HELP!]

If someone actually cares about my issue, they will read all of the following. Let's see how many of you are out here and how many just want to answer simple short questions for reputation.

Okay, so I've ran into my first ever iPod Touch issue. I've never owned an iPhone, but I have had an iPod in the past and know a bit about them. I'm going to be 100% honest and I need a serious answer because I'm upset and angry. If anyone can be bothered to read the following, THANK YOU. If anyone could help me out in any way by giving me suggestions/tips and/or a solution, THANK YOU. But anything that can help is appreciated.

I had my board shorts on when this ocurred. I went to the toilet, doing my own business. I had my iPod Touch in my bank pocket which went to about half way down my thigh. The iPod Touch at the time was facing away from my thigh. Pulling down my pants, the iPod Touch hit the tiled floor. It hardly even hit the floor, all I heard was a little click and I realised it was my iPod. It was flat at the time, I picked it up and pressed the Home button immediately to ensure it was okay. It sort of lit up like a white background, but had a very low opacity. Since it was flat, I assumed it was normal.

Putting my iPod on charge right after my toilet break, I waited and waited for it to charge quickly enough for me to see the screen as I was a little worried not having seen that faded screen before. When the Apple logo was to appear, it gave me a lit up white screen. I was so confused as there were no marks AT ALL on my screen or any other part of the iPod.

NOTE: My iPod is still under warranty.

Did my research and came to the conclusion that it was the infamous 'White Screen of Death'. Where do I go from here? I have no clue!

I have important information such as a To Do list and my Contacts within the iPod. I NEED to retrieve this information. Is there any way I can do this?

I can still use the iPod, as if the screen were showing. Sounds are working, but there is just a blank, lit up white screen. Sometimes when I hold the Home button, On/Off button & the Volume Up buttoon all at the same time for ~10-20 seconds, the Apple logo comes up as if the screen was all fixed. 5 Seconds later, it goes all funny as if there were faded white lines and a faded white background but still being able to see the logo/screen. When the iPod loads, it just goes back to the lit up white screen.

Here's another odd thing to this, when I leave my iPod Touch sitting in a spot remotely, without touching it for a few hours, when I come back to it and hit the Home button, the iPod will begin to work fine as if nothing ever happened. No white screen, no nothing, just simply use it as I wish. I can even sometimes lock it, and then unclock it again with it still showing perfectly. However, when I tend to click the On/Off button after this happens, or if I just continue to use it for ~1 minute, it will eventually do the same as the above paragraph in second last sentence.

This may be important:

The iPod charges fine.

The iPod can be used with my computer and iTunes fine.

To sum it all up, everything can be done, including using the iPod, but with a lit up white screen.

Here are some questions I have for you guys:

Will Apple cover this in my warranty?

If they won't, what should I do?

How much would a replacement screen cost?

Should I attempty to open my iPod if they do not cover it by warranty? (I have not attempted as I don't want to void anything).

What could be the cause and why?

How can I retrieve that important information? (Contacts & To Do List)

Have you got any suggestions/tips for me?

I need this resolved guys. I'm very upset and angry over the whole situation. If a little thump on the tiles like that (it's not like I dropped it or anything) can damage the screen that much, then this devices from Apple can't be very reliable. All I'm asking for is some genuine service/help to resolve my issue. If this can be done, I will be one VERY happy person.

Daniel

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:40 AM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Zionyx

Likely no since the warranty includes:

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause;

You can alsways make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Aple store and discuss it with them.

It is up to you. More below.

Apple will exchange it for a refurbished one for $99, $149 or $199 depending upon the capacity. A third-party place like the following may be less expensive. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Should I attempty to open my iPod if they do not cover it by warranty? (I have not attempted as I don't want to void anything).

It is up to your. For how see:

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

The drop broke something or knocked something loose.

Easiest way is to purchase or borrow an iDevice and resore the the device fom the backp of your iPod. Can yu access your contact in the app/plae that yu sync them with? If you use iCloud then reminders and contracts should be in iCloud.

Apr 23, 2012 9:08 AM in response to lllaass

Well, thanks for reading my post (I think), but I have some issues with your reply.

1. You just seemed to copy & paste a lot of things, not actually going into detail with my issue and how I can go about resolving it.

2. You didn't really explain anything, I'm no expert at this.

3. Your grammar prevented me from understanding half of what you wrote.

4. You said the cause was from dropping it, causing it to break something or make something loose. Isn't that kind of, obvious? I was thinking more along the lines of:

"Hey, since your screen is still showing at times and isn't always a still white screen, this most likely means that something is just loose."

Even though I don't know if that above statement is correct, but it could be and a response like that should be given.

Thanks for the reply & attempt to help me, though. I'd really like a detailed response with good suggestions/tips or solution(s).

Apr 23, 2012 9:23 AM in response to lllaass

I know that the drop caused damage to my iPod because right after, it started showing the odd screen. How is that not obvious? It could have just made something loose too, as you stated before. If you have no knowledge in this area, then I don't see why you are replying. Given this, I kindly ask for you to stop replying unless you have a solution.

I've done some searches around the discussions, your name comes up in nearly ALL of them. Are you just trying to gain some reputation by replying to every discussion in any way possible? If you actually bothered to read my OP, you would have seen I stated for people NOT to do this. It's kind of evident that you are. If you don't really have any knowledge about my issue and can't give a decent reply that can help me in some kind of way or give me accurate knowledge, then don't reply.

Apr 23, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Zionyx

As stated above it is not covered by the warranty as it will be deemed accidental damage. You can try explaining what happened to somebody at the Genius Bar and they may cut you some slack and replace it at no cost. They might not though as Apple has started to really come down hard on eliminating replacing accidentally damaged iPods at no cost.

Again, bring it into them anyways and explain what happened. You have nothing to lose either way. Otherwise, you really only have 2 other options. Send it to a third party service center to have them take a look at it and possibly repair the iPod, or do some studying online and learn how to open up the device yourself and take a look. There are some excellent step-by-step repair guides at http://www.ifixit.com/.

This depends on where or how you have it repaired. Here is Apple's repair pricing guide.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/

Third party repair centers will cost less and they'll actually swap out the bad part rather than just replace the entire iPod as Apple does.

If you have a warranty on it still, I wouldn't quite yet. Take it to your local Apple store as explained above. Otherwise, I would only if you feel comfortable working with small electronics and consider yourself handy with them.

As stated already, it could be a damaged or loose LCD ribbon cable or the LCD screen itself is damaged. As to what exact component, there is no way to tell.

Make a backup of the device in iTunes before taking or sending it in for service or before you decide to open it up (if you do happen to go that route). See here what is included in the backup of the device.

iTunes: About iOS backups

If you get a new or replacement device you can restore it from that backup.

As I have already stated numerous times, try taking it into your local Apple Store and see if there is anything can do for you such as swap it out. Remember that they are not obligated to do so since the damage is technically accidental. Be kind and polite when explaning what happened. You never know what could happen!

B-rock

Apr 23, 2012 9:59 AM in response to planb77

Thank you for all of your advice, it's very much appreciated. I think I will send it to Apple as I have already made a repair request. I didn't lie about it either, told them the truth and all as I feel it's the right thing to do. Will reply to this thread as progress proceeds so that others with my issue or a similar issue can follow my steps.

Gave you some reputation/points for giving me an accurate answer and helping me out. I know that no one could give me the exact component but the previous replier told me it was damaged (duh). Thanks for actually telling me what it COULD be.

Other repliers are welcome to help me out.

Apr 23, 2012 10:33 AM in response to Zionyx

An update:

I read something where it says to bang the screen against your hand and the white screen should go away. It worked! Funnily enough, I'm writing this right now with my iPod Touch that had the screen issue. I have a couple of more questions:

I'm not sure how long this will last, should I still send my device in tomorrow?

When I click the On/Off button, it locks it but as it locks the screen starts to go white like it does just before white screening. However, whenever I use my Home button, it shows up fine. Could this mean anything?

Since my screen has lasted ~30 minutes, is it most likely just something loose?

Can you give me any more information or suggestions regarding what this reply is about?

May 2, 2013 3:08 PM in response to Zionyx

Well you and I have a lot in common, right down to our name...

I got my iPod from the friend of a friend of mine, but it was in perfect condition and unused, so there's no warranty for me, but anyway this I guess isn't covered.

In my case, I didn't drop or knock my iPod against anything. I just plugged into some speakers and I got the white screen. I've tried to reset my iPod, but that failed.

I wanted to know just how hard you hit the iPod screen against your hand because I just tried that and it's not working, but maybe I'm not doing it hard enough...

-Daniel

White Screen of Death Questions [PLEASE HELP!]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.