Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Out of Warranty service

My wife has an iPhone 4 that is out of warranty. When making/receiving calls, her voice cuts in and out, and sometimes never comes back on. She can hear the other person fine. In any other case, the microphone works perfectly (i.e. the voice recorder, facetime calls, etc). It's just during voice calls.

I did some searching on the net and found that it's a hardware problem (not software) and a lot of people experience this -- it apparently has something to do with a chip that has bad solder joints.

One youtube video suggested putting pressure on a certain area on the back of the phone (if you're looking at the back of the phone, mid-way down on the left side). After putting slight pressure on that area during a call, it is confirmed that something in that area is loose because it does fix the problem temporarily, but it's not consistent and not really a fix. (source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhWxYTVxe4)

I also found another youtube video that goes much more indepth as to what the problem is, as well as a solution, which involves pretty much taking the whole phone apart and resoldering (he uses the term "reballing") the problem IC, which is WAY beyond my skillset (source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-n1LJEK3PM & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkEiR6OPhhc)

What are Apple's (Canada) Out Of Warranty terms? Can I get a replacement phone for $200 or something like that?

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:55 AM

14 replies

Apr 23, 2012 9:15 AM in response to varjak paw

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Thanks for the link varjak, that was useful for pricing.

What are the basic terms of out of warranty replacement? I noticed something in the link that said:

"... if Apple receives it [the damaged phone] and determines that it is ineligible for Out-of-Warranty service, you will be charged a Cover Charge that is the difference between the Replacement Value of a new iPhone and the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee"

The reason I ask is because about 9 months ago (Aug 2011), the phone sustained some water damage. After thoroughly drying the phone (for over 2 weeks) and replacing the battery (with a battery purchased from iFixit.com) because the original battery was no longer holding a charge after the water damage, the phone was is good condition and worked perfectly. The microphone problem only started in the last 2 weeks.

So I guess my question is, will a replaced battery and previous water damage make this phone "ineligible" for an Out-of-Warranty replacement? I don't really want to find out AFTER I get a replacement phone and send in the old phone that I have to pay full price as the above quote suggests.

Apr 23, 2012 9:24 AM in response to atomicrabbit

I checked out the terms of service and here's a section which describes Sevice Exclusions:

Service Exclusions and Diagnostic Fee. To the extent permitted by law, Apple

may charge you a diagnostic fee (including shipping charges) as described in the

Country Variation section, below (“Diagnostic Fee”), if Apple inspects your product

and determines that (i ) your product does not require service, (ii) your product has

failed due to or has incompatibilities with software or data residing or recorded on

your product (iii) service is required due to the failure of parts that are neither

supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded, (iii) additional labor or parts are required

that were not specified in the original estimated charges and you do not agree to

authorize service based on Apple’s revised estimated charges, or (iv) service cannot

be performed because the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed or

the product has failed due to accident, abuse, liquid spill or submersion, neglect,

misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification,

extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme

physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power,

lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes (“Service

Exclusions”). Apple will return your product to you without servicing it and may

charge you the Diagnostic Fee.

part (iii) is what's bothering me: "service is required due to the failure of parts that are neither supplied by Apple nor Apple-branded"

The battery is from iFixit. It looked identical to the original apple battery, but if it's not, will that cause the phone to be "ineligible" for OOW replacement, even though the battery is not the cause of the problem?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 23, 2012 9:34 AM in response to atomicrabbit

The battery is from iFixit. It looked identical to the original apple battery, but if it's not, will that cause the phone to be "ineligible" for OOW replacement, even though the battery is not the cause of the problem?

It could render it ineligible, yes. The battery may not be the direct cause of the problem, but Apple could well decide that the replacemeny by an unauthorized service provider caused or contributed to the problem. None of us here can provide a definitive statement on the matter since none of us can speak for Apple. You'll just have to contact them, or visit an Apple Store, and inquire.

Regards.

Apr 23, 2012 10:18 AM in response to wegras

well for the sake of argument.. the water damage is not exactly hideable nor will it be a surprise to them... all the stickers are clearly red. The battery is arguable I guess. I didn't really come here saying "hey I just dissasembled my iphone, removed and resoldered everything back together and now it doesn't work".

That said, the phone in question is in no way connected to my account or my information, so theres no way they can make that connection. And it's not like I'm demanding a free phone. I would gladly pay $200 for a recertified phone.

Actually, follow-up question, if I get a replacement phone, do I get a year warranty on it?

Apr 23, 2012 10:27 AM in response to atomicrabbit

The warranty will be what ever is left on old iPhone (nothing ) or 90 days which ever is longer

Water damage is common and not a problem

3rd party opening can be as that may well have caused the other issues

you mention (may have done, may not ) but you really do not have an argument

Just hope it isn't noticed however allegedly Genius can detect tampering at

100 yards (or meters )

Good luck

iPhone Out of Warranty service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.