Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't remove ghost object in Pages doc imported from Word

Hi there,

I imported a Word .docx into Pages '09 for it's better layout and figure handling capabilities.

I ran into a few issues with page numbers from Word being converted to background/master objects, but overcame that pretty easily.

The problem I now have, is that it seems one of the figures from the Word document has become some kind of unselectable ghost object. Which is only apparent because text is inexplicably wrapping around an empty space.

I've tried all the tricks I've found to select background and master objects with no luck. Has anyone encountered this before?

I'm attaching a jpeg of a screenshot of what the document is doing. Invisibles are on, so you can see that there aren't spaces, tabs, etc or an object. Yet the text is wrapping as if an object were there.

I've already made edits to the file, so I would really prefer not to have to delete figures from the Word file and re-import to Pages to fix this...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:48 AM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2012 10:52 AM in response to fruhulda

Yes, I have tried selecting it. I've set Background Objects selectable, and Master Objects Selectable, and there's still nothing to select.

I've even tried the command+click in the margin, drag into the document trick. Nothing.

It's very perplexing. Pages doesn't think there's an object to select, and yet it's wrapping text around something.

Apr 23, 2012 11:25 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd first like to exhaust all options to simply remove the ghost object from the exisitng Pages document. I've already made signifcant edits to it, and I don't want to re-import and repeat all the formatting unless I absolutely have to.

I'll keep stripping off Word formatting and re-importing as a backup plan though, thanks.

Apr 23, 2012 11:45 AM in response to fruhulda

Ah great, it worked!

A warning to others, exporting to Rtfd and re-importing to Pages seems to have removed many of my tables and figures from the original document, in addition to the weird ghost figure. I was planning on cleaning up the figures anyway, so this is not a problem for me, but others who try this should be prepared to lose many (but not all, oddly) of their inserted objects.

Thanks very much Fruhulda!!

eebick

Can't remove ghost object in Pages doc imported from Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.