Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy, Paste and Dublicate does not work as expected

Hi folks!

I am currently with iPhoto 11 Version 9.2.3 and Lion.

As far as I remember, in earlier Versions of iPhoto I could right-click a photo, copy and paste it back into the library. Again, as far as I remember, the "new" copy showed up as new event and could be used for further processing.

Right-click and choose "Dublicate" made it even easier - as far as I remember.

Now I neither can find the Dublicate-Option on a photo nor does copy'n'paste work. After I have copied a photo, I cannot paste it back into the library. The only thing which theoretically work is pasting the copy back into an Album. However, it appears as a last action which I might reverse, but the new copy does not show up anyhow. Not as a photo nor as an event.

Can anybody shade a little light on that? Am I totally wrong with my memories? Unfortunatly I do not have an old iPhoto-Version available.

What about that non working cut-copy-paste action? I could not even find some info in the help files.

Thx for any ideas!

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:17 AM

The "Duplicate" option has been moved to the "Photos" menu. iPhoto 11 now behaves very much like Aperture. It makes it very difficult to actually create duplicate images. You can create versions of the same image by using "duplicate", but all versions of the same image have be contained in the same event. If you drag an image from one event to another event, then all duplicate versions will be moved to the other event.

You can copy an image, but this will copy it to the clpiboard, and you can paste it onto the Desktop or into a document, but not into another another event.

To actually duplicate the image (and not only derive a second version from the master image file) you will have to import it again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Thomas Halenbeck

The "Duplicate" option has been moved to the "Photos" menu. iPhoto 11 now behaves very much like Aperture. It makes it very difficult to actually create duplicate images. You can create versions of the same image by using "duplicate", but all versions of the same image have be contained in the same event. If you drag an image from one event to another event, then all duplicate versions will be moved to the other event.

You can copy an image, but this will copy it to the clpiboard, and you can paste it onto the Desktop or into a document, but not into another another event.

To actually duplicate the image (and not only derive a second version from the master image file) you will have to import it again.

Apr 23, 2012 11:00 AM in response to léonie

Wow, thx for your update!

In my eyes Apple made a straight way down in 2011. Nothing which was introduced as a great thing actually was one to me. All the time I need to fight against the problems which were introduced with Lion and the Cloud and now the same story starts with iPhoto. I am getting tired ...

However, again thx for your update. At least I know that this is the way it is. I might start searching for a way to downgrade the Library and continue using an old version. Apple missed to fix the bugs in the old version anyhow, so the newer version just gives me nothing but harder times.

Greetz from Germany!

Copy, Paste and Dublicate does not work as expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.