Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a 10.6.8 vers. Snow Leopard bootable / install disk?

I'm running Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and I need to create a bootable (startup) disk containing "Snow Leopard" 10.6.8 which is what I'm running on my MacBook Pro. I have the original "S.L." disk from Apple but of course I can no longer boot up from it as it's too old (version wise). So, as I need to continue running Snow Leopard on this machine until one last sofware app. is updated to run on "Lion" I REALLY NEED a bootable "Snow Leopard" disk that I can use, safely with my MBP running Snow Leopard v. 10.6.8 I've never created a bootable disk before so I need step-by-step instructions of where to download the DMG files needed and the steps to create the bootable DVD. Thanks everyone!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:19 AM

8 replies

Apr 23, 2012 10:25 AM in response to playa_west

What exactly do you want? Do you want a bootable Snow Leopard installer (10.6.3) or do you want a bootable installation of Snow Leopard that is upgraded to 10.6.8? These are two different things. There are no downloadable .dmg files to do either. You start with a functioning 10.6.3 Snow Leopard DVD or a functioning installation of Snow Leopard on a hard drive.

In your case, for example, you could purchase an external hard drive onto which you would clone your existing Snow Leopard system. This is one possible approach.

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Apr 23, 2012 11:26 AM in response to playa_west

playa_west wrote:

I REALLY NEED a bootable "Snow Leopard" disk that I can use, safely with my MBP running Snow Leopard v. 10.6.8 I've never created a bootable disk before so I need step-by-step instructions of where to download the DMG files needed and the steps to create the bootable DVD.

Ok, first off creating a 10.6.8 boot DVD is no easy task. Forget that.

10.6.3 disks are avaialble from Apple online

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

which if you need to restore to 10.6.8 can be done via Apple menu > Software Update

If your machine came out after 10.6.3 was released, you need to call Apple for 10.6.4+ machine specific disks.

If you don't know, you can use the free MacTracker to tell you what version of OS X came with your machine originally.

You can CLONE your present entire boot drive (no Bootcamp) to a blank powered external drive using the free (donations) Carbon Copy Cloner.

Simply connect the drive and select drive A to drive B and click Clone.

That's it.

http://www.bombich.com/index.html

If you want to boot from the clone, simply hold the option key down while booting (use a wired keyboard)

That's it. 🙂

If you want to update the clone just connect it and clone again, it will update it faster than a full clone.

That's it.

Jul 31, 2012 3:28 PM in response to Kappy

Ok this is my problem. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my Macbook 13" Aluminium version. I am trying to pass on my system to my little nephew, so I need to do a complete erase and restore. I no longer have the original copy of SL that I upgraded to and I am trying not to purchase a new copy. Is this possible in anyway? And can I restore files from Time Machine after?

Jul 31, 2012 3:42 PM in response to Saddla

Not without the original discs that came with your computer. All you can do is create a new admin account for your nephew, log into that account and then delete the old account. If you have third-party software you don't wish to pass on, then you will need to remove or uninstall them:

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software use startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, EasyFind 4.9, instead.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications. Here is a selection:

1. AppZapper 2.0.1
  2. AppDelete 3.2.6
  3. Automaton 1.50
  4. Hazel
  5. AppCleaner 2.1.0
  6. CleanApp
  7. iTrash 1.8.2
  8. Amnesia
  9. Uninstaller 1.15.1
  10. Spring Cleaning 11.0.1

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

Sep 30, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy:

In just came across your answer for creating a Restore disk for my 10.6.8. It is as follows:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

My question is: What and where do I select the Source from? Is it the System file from the HD? Do I include the Library? or do I include the entire HD?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

How do I create a 10.6.8 vers. Snow Leopard bootable / install disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.