Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FAT or exFAT or NTFS

I recently brought Western Digital's Passport Essential, and will be using with My MacBook (running Snow Leopard), MacBook Air (running Lion) and Windows 7 Desktop. I should be able to read-write data using each machine/OS.

More over, I need to store and move files larger than 4GB

So, what should be preferred file-system type: FAT, exFAT or NTFS? Will my portable drive support exFAT?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:46 AM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2012 11:07 AM in response to mhtjj

GUID and exFAT since no legacy machines and OS's are involved, however the 10.6 machine must be 10.6.5 or later.

Format the new drive on the Win 7 machine, right click on it's icon and format: exFAT.

If you ever want to connect the drive to a XP machine with exFAT installed (free from Microsoft), then your looking at MBR + exFAT.

If the XP machine can't install exFAT, like it's not verified, then MBR + FAT32 (MSDOS) and keep all files under 4GB in size.

If you want to connect the drive to consoles and other devices, then MBR + FAT32 (MSDOS)

Don't use NTFS

Drives, partitions, formatting w/Mac's + PC's

FAT or exFAT or NTFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.