Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat

We recently had to replace our HD and have the software reloaded. Because we needed to recover data, the Apple Store recommended another vender since Apple by policy will not attempt to recover data. Most of our data was recovered and except for some corrupted photos we are back in business. However, we recently noted that iChat no longer works. It shows in Finder and it appears I can open it but almost all of the actions in the pulldown windows are grayed out. I have checked software updates and it shows we are current.

Any ideas on how to fix iChat?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 11:07 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Buck from Round Hill

I see this Post appears to have been moved from the Mac Pro area.

iChat 3 though 5 can be reinstalled via the Install disk by the methods described here in this Users Tip.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1486891?threadID=1486891&tstart=0

The so called "easy way" requires inserting the disk and then expanding the window for the Disk so you can see the Optional Installs folder and then running the OptionsInstalls.mpkg

(Depending on version that might be another folder deep)

From there you run the Installer and pare down to just installing iChat.

You will then NEED to Download and Install the COMBO version of the Last Update your did.

This will be needed to Update iChat to "Match " the OS.

The "Hard Way" is just complicated rather than difficult and uses Pacifist to extract the apps from the Install Disk.

This too needs the COMBO to be run afterwards.

A Time Machine Back up maybe easier for Lion (iChat 6).

I have not used this but you are supposed to be able to Restore from the Drive

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

User uploaded file
9:37 PM Tuesday; April 24, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.