Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Boot when USB 3 Drive attached

I have a 2TB Hitachi Backup drive, and a 1TB Verbatim Portable drive, both are USB 3, and when they are connected and the iMac is switched off, it will not boot until I remove the drive.

How can I leave the 2TB drive connected and power up the iMac ?

The 2TB drive was purchased to be a Time Machine backup drive.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 - 8GB

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 2:27 PM

25 replies

Apr 24, 2012 12:31 AM in response to ds store

The drives work fine on any Windows PC, with USB 2 ports. They work fine on the iMac when it's booted. The Hitachi and Verbatim drives just will not allow the Mac to boot.

As they both work OK with a PC, I think it's an Apple problem to resolve. It's a pain to keep removing them when I need to boot up the PC.

The Hitachi has it's own Power Supply, so the power drain on the port is not relevant here. It is recognised as a Time Machine drive, so it shoudl act like a permanent attached drive.

The Verbatim drive is the same size as the iMac.

I will log a formal support ticket with Apple later this week if there are not suggested solutions coming from this community.

Apr 24, 2012 5:01 AM in response to macs1mus

So given the drives are backwards compatible to USB 2.0 ports, why is the iMac and Lion not handling them correctly ? Sounds to me like a bug in OSX.

It's not about the lack of USB3 drivers or support for USB3, because the ports are USB 2.0 on the iMac.

I will need to do a final test with a USB 2 only portable drive and see if that will stop the iMac from booting also.

Apr 24, 2012 5:12 AM in response to a brody

The Hitachi disk was originally formatted in NTFS, and would not allow the iMac to boot, but when booted could read but not write to the disk..

When it was re-formatted in FAT, it still would not allow the iMac to boot, but could read and write to the drive.

I'm not sure its a drive format issue at this moment in time, more a boot squence or expectation of a USB being bootable.

Apr 24, 2012 5:19 AM in response to Csound1

How and Why ? and What benefit would that give me ?

Each end of the drive is unique to the manufacturer. The Hitachi drive connector and Verbatim one are different, but the end to the iMac is a regular USB connector.

The drives do transfer data via this cable. It works.

What does not work, is that when the iMac is powered off, if a USB 3 drive is connected, the iMac will not boot up. Removing the cable/drive, will let the iMac boot, I then have to re-connect the drive. OSX will recognise the drive and all is good.

Unable to Boot when USB 3 Drive attached

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.