Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Gmail accounts in MacMail

I have tried to find a solution all over the place, and couldn't find one anywhere...I was able to solve the problem, but since this seemed to be a fairly commonly asked question, without a good solution, I wanted to post this. 🙂

My issue was that my wife and I both have separate Gmail accounts, but when she would use the Mac Mail program on our MBP, when she would send emails, it showed her name, but came from my Gmail account, and when people would respond to her emails, they would come to my email address.

No amount of Google searching turned up a good answer, and so I kept digging, and managed to stumble on this by myself...

The issue is that according to MacMail, you are using the same outgoing Gmail smtp server, so you need to differentiate the two.

Go to Mail > Preferences

In your accounts, click the drop down that has Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), and click "Edit SMTP Server List...".

When that window comes up, you'll see two different entries for Gmail, with the same outbound SMTP. Click on them individually, and you'll see the different Gmail account credentials. Change the description of each (I changed mine to my and my wife's names, to easily identify which SMTP went with which mail account) and ensure that your Gmail credentials are accurate. Click OK.

Now, under each of the Gmail accounts, change the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) drop down to match each of your Gmail accounts, and click the "Use only this server" box.

That should fix your issue! User uploaded file

Nick

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 4:27 PM

17 replies

Apr 23, 2012 4:37 PM in response to HeadlessChief

Just for information:

With gmail, there is also another way. At the GMail website, open up settings. Go to the accounts tab. On Send Mail As, you can add the other account to it and configure the settings. You would have to do the same for the other account.

GMail's default behavior when sending a message from a different account is to change the address to account of the server you are using. That's why you had that trouble. You can actually add a different account like Yahoo and still use the server and have the correct address shown as long as it's set up.

Jul 17, 2012 9:29 AM in response to HeadlessChief

Thanks for your troubleshooting.

When you do differentiate the outgoing servers with titles of your choice, be sure to go back and examine them to make sure the changes have taken hold. Also turn up your sound volume of your outgoing "whoosh" mail sound, to ensure the Gmail is being sent. Sometimes the outgoing Gmail server fails, for wifi networking or remote server reasons.

Jul 17, 2013 4:14 PM in response to HeadlessChief

HeadlessChief, thank you SO much for this, it got me on the right track for an issue that was becoming maddeningly vexing (and very inconvienient!). I had to go one step further than your directions, though.

Once I was in the "Edit SMTP server list" box I found I *was* using the correct server. On a whim I clicked the "Advanced" tab while still in the server list editing box, and found that the incorrect, OTHER gmail address was listed there! Once I changed that email to the correct one, my problems went away.

Whew!!

Mar 21, 2015 5:15 PM in response to HeadlessChief

Thanks! I actually stumbled on this by guess-and-check just the other day. Mails are finally being sent from the correct email addresses, even with both mailboxes configured, the outgoing mail was always sent "on behalf of" the email I was trying to avoid using.

However, some downsides-

1. Setup with 2-step verification is pretty elaborate...I had to enter my true password for each separate Gmail account, which worked for a few minutes, then BOTH stopped working and gave a credentials error. I had to go back and enter "app-generated" passwords for BOTH accounts, and verify both with codes on my phone. I will not enjoy doing that again

2. I get two notifications for every email now. Not sure why this occurs since I only added "outgoing" email servers, however when I open "connection doctor" I notice both the incoming and outgoing servers appear listed as separate accounts. That is, for three email addresses it shows 6 entries.

If anyone has a troubleshot for this double-notification, please reply.

Multiple Gmail accounts in MacMail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.