Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove dirt stains on aluminium lid of Macbook pro?

Good day! I recently found some marks and stains of dirt in my macbook pro's aluminum body. I tried wiping it off with Alcohol and Water but it won't disappear it looks like its stained on the metal already.

Is there any thing I can apply on the surface of the metal to remove these stains and maybe polish the metal of my laptop?

Here are some pictures of the surface of the laptop so you can see the stain marks I am talking about.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/img3117di.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img3116z.jpg/

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:50 PM

Try something like Goof-Off or Methyl Ethyl Ketone on a cotton swab on a part of the Mac that nobody see's too much to test the reaction, let it dry and look at that tiny spot a few days later.

Make sure you do this outside, both chemical have a strong order.

If nothing there, then try a little on the spot(s) and always use a clean swab, dip a little, let it work (takes some time), then remove with a dry cloth, repeat.

Don't pour liquids anywhere near the machine.

The two chemicals I've mentioned are very strong solvents, takes off a lot of things including paint.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2012 7:50 PM in response to Kyle Erald

Try something like Goof-Off or Methyl Ethyl Ketone on a cotton swab on a part of the Mac that nobody see's too much to test the reaction, let it dry and look at that tiny spot a few days later.

Make sure you do this outside, both chemical have a strong order.

If nothing there, then try a little on the spot(s) and always use a clean swab, dip a little, let it work (takes some time), then remove with a dry cloth, repeat.

Don't pour liquids anywhere near the machine.

The two chemicals I've mentioned are very strong solvents, takes off a lot of things including paint.

Apr 24, 2012 5:19 PM in response to Kyle Erald

Be warned:

There is a product called "Lime-Away" which removes calcium/lime/rust from surfaces and is marketed as "safe for most surfaces. I have seen it dissolve cast steel into goo.

Common "miracle cleaning chemicals" have directions that need to be read carefully and they should not be underestimated.

That being said, ds store has much experience in these matters and I would not disagree with his advice.

How to remove dirt stains on aluminium lid of Macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.