Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save/transfer my iPhone contacts to my Address Book on my Mac?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:25 PM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2012 7:30 PM in response to Dornopolis

You can sync them there with iTunes by connecting your phone, go to the Info tab of your iTunes sync settings, check to Sync Contacts with Address Book, then sync your phone. Important: be sure there is at least one contact in Address Book prior to syncing, which should give your a merge or replace prompt for contacts when you sync; select Merge. (If you don't get this prompt, cancel the sync or it will delete the contacts from your phon. You cancel the sync by clicking on the "x" to the right of the sync progress bar at the top of iTunes.)

Apr 23, 2012 7:57 PM in response to Dornopolis

I'm sorry that happened as the sync process did not proceed as it was supposed to. I will try to help you get them back if it is still possible. Open iTunes without connecting your phone, go to Preferences and on the Devices tab check "Prevent...from syncing automatically". Now connect your phone and when it appears in iTunes on the left sidebar right-click on its name and choose Restore from Backup. See if that restores you contacts. If it doesn't, then the only way to retreive them would be if you have been using Time Machine on your mac to back it up, in which case we can restore an earlier backup of your phone before this happened.

Apr 23, 2012 8:05 PM in response to Dornopolis

Good, now let me offer you a safer way to import your contacts to your mac Address Book, without using the iTunes sync process or risking losing your contacts. Download the free app My Contacts Backup to your phone. This app will back up your contacts as an email attachment. Send this email to youself and open it on your mac. Double-click on the attachment and it will import the contacts to your mac Address Book.

Apr 23, 2012 8:14 PM in response to Dornopolis

I would suggest you do one more thing. If you would like to sync your contacts with Address Book using iTunes, connect your phone to your computer, go to the Info Info tab, confirm that you have still selected to sync contacts with Address Book, then further down under Advanced>Replace information on this iPhone, check Contacts, Apply and sync your phone. This will replace the contacts on your phone with the ones in Address Book (which are now correct), and establish two-way syncing with your phone without creating duplicates. There is no risk at this point in doing this as you can always go back and open the My Contacts Backup email on your phone and tap the attachment to re-import your contacts to your phone if anything should go wrong.

Jul 7, 2015 12:38 AM in response to Dornopolis

Apple offers ways to transfer/save your iPhone contacts to your Mac address book, and more details in How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support That is to say, iTunes backup files and iCloud backup files can be the paths to restore your iPhone data. However, you must backup your iPhone data frequently, like the contacts. If you want to transfer/save your iPhone contacts to Address book on your Mac, back contacts up firstly with iClond with the same Apple ID so that you also can gain contacts on your Mac. Or you can go to the Info tab of your iTunes sync settings, check to Sync Contacts with Address Book. Then, follow the steps directed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.