Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro has a black screen when running in Bootcamp Windows 7. Since I updated the mac side my windows side now starts up with completely black screen - no prompt, nothing, Cap keys still light up as does mouse and DVD drive seems to run.

My Macbook Pro has a black screen when running in Bootcamp Windows 7. Since I updated the mac side my windows side now starts up with completely black screen - no prompt, nothing, Cap keys still light up as does mouse and DVD drive seems to run.

Will not show up in safe mode, will not show when started from Windows 7 DVD.

I suspect the Mac update wiped out my PC video drivers but can not think of a way to re-install?

Can see the PC volume from Mac side with files.

I've looked at all the online solutions so far and have tried most of them without success. Please help!

Specs:

2009 Macbook Pro, 3.06 GHz Intel 2 core, Max 10.6.8.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

Serial Number (system): 7302300GANE

Hardware UUID: B2D4B4B4-CD92-5C7A-BDC2-527D30DD8DF3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Running Windows 7 64 bit

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:20 PM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2012 10:15 PM in response to blackscreen123

blackscreen123 wrote:

Will not show up in safe mode, will not show when started from Windows 7 DVD..................

Are you saying when you start up from the Windows installer DVD and try to repair the Windows installation it doesn't see the Windows install?

Have you booted from the MacOS Installer DVD and used the "Repair Disk" on the Mac side?

May 31, 2014 2:09 PM in response to _bck

EDIT: RESOLVED

For anyone else who finds their way here like I did, this link did it for me: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/527599/windows-8-issues-solved-please-r ead-if-you-39-re-having-black-screen-and-or-flickering-/

Specifically, the posts by Dunsany and valkyr did the trick. I booted in safe mode, uninstalled and deleted the Nvidia driver, disabled automatic driver installation, and restarted normally. I then manually downloaded and installed the previous Nvidia driver for my graphics card (which at the time of this writing was 335.23, rather than the latest which was 337.88), and everything is now bueno!

Two hiccoughs along the way: First, when I tried to uninstall the Nvidia driver the first time, when I restarted I got the login screen (which was a good sign), but it quickly went black again. I powered down, restarted in safe mode again, and repeated the uninstallation process, and it worked the second time. Second, when I started the manual install of the 335.23 driver, the computer played a sound similar to the one for disconnecting a USB device, and the screen went black. I'd seen a lot about trying to increase the brightness (though it hadn't worked up to this point; but if you haven't tried it yet, might as well); I tried it, and it worked! So far I'm back up and running. [/fingers crossed]

Hope this helps someone else!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.