Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i recently lost my iPod and ive been using find my iPhone to send messages to it, my email instantly tells me that it had been displayed or it suonded off however it doesn't find it's current location. you guys think this app actually works??

i recently lost my 3rd Gen iPod and ive been using find my iPhone to send messages to it, my email then instantly tells me that it had been displayed or it suonded off however it doesn't find the iPod's current location. you guys think this app actually works? i feel like my alerts are just bouncing back at me. please help. Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 5

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:37 PM

10 replies

Apr 23, 2012 10:11 PM in response to ralphfromphil

It really works. You can be assured your message was displayed, but if you did not also enable Location Services its location cannot be determined.

If I were you I'd be reluctant to remotely wipe it since your message will be gone and you will no longer be able to send any more, as you already know. In the event someone finds it your message may be the only way to find you. In the meantime change your passwords before someone else does.

Apr 23, 2012 10:12 PM in response to ralphfromphil

Thanks for that info sir, im not too sure if i did set it to not allow changes in settings but if this is the default setting then good for me because i didn't bother changing any of the iCloud / find iPhone app settings. i read some related threads about this proble and im seriously thinking of wiping it now asi it'll be tough to locate it accurately because it would have to be continuosly connected to wifi which is not very common where im from.

Apr 23, 2012 10:20 PM in response to ralphfromphil

Location Services is off by default. You would have had to explicitly enable it.

You could wipe it, but if someone finds it and wants to return it to you, the chances of that are reduced unless your contact information is somehow attached to it.

If someone finds it and does not want to return it, the iPod would have to be "wiped" anyway, if it is to be of any use. Personally I think the benefit of "remote wipe" is limited for those reasons.

Apr 24, 2012 7:49 AM in response to ralphfromphil

Hate to say this but the only way you can ever hope to find your iPod is to physically get off your behind and go look for it.

The deal is, Find My Phone is actually useless. Sure, you can "ping" your iPod with messages, and you can remotely lock and/or wipe it, but AFAIC Location Services is a joke.

I've done some testing with my 32gig 4th gen Touch and my iPhone 4. With both devices sitting side by side on my kitchen table, Location Services has NEVER shown the devices to be any where close to each other, and at times Location Services has been as much as a 1/4 of a mile off between the two devices.

Apr 24, 2012 8:36 AM in response to cliftonfromrichmond

your not a really nice fella and by beeing rude to people telling them to get off there duff and go look for it. iCloud has been working very well for me and shows the exact location where it is, when mobileme and icloud cameout, yes, it was abit alittle far out of your range but not much, it has helped me alot, i aggree with you about the "Find My iPhone" is useless bc it has the same technology on a computer via mobileme and icloud. not really much of a difference other than it takes up like 23.9MB of your space or however the size of the app is. and Find My iPhone has a prebuilt in the IOS 5 series even thou people just dont relize it that you already have it. i guess its only there for when your not around a computer at the time even thou your at home and all.

and just to tell you, you need to ease up on people and not making them feel down with ignerance

Message was edited by: James5wins

Apr 24, 2012 9:22 AM in response to cliftonfromrichmond

... AFAIC Location Services is a joke.

With both devices sitting side by side on my kitchen table, Location Services has NEVER shown the devices to be any where close to each other, and at times Location Services has been as much as a 1/4 of a mile off between the two devices.

Your iPod Touch has no GPS receiver so determining its location relies upon wireless routers whose location is known. Its "location" is actually that of a wireless router. Your iPhone 4 can use GPS, cellular triangulation, and Wi-Fi. One would think GPS would be most accurate but urban areas have a greater density of cells and GPS signals are easily obstructed so cellular triangulation is often more accurate.

Therefore the two devices' locations can be expected to be different. Differences of a quarter mile are easily explained if you understand how location services works: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1975

Skyhook Wireless (I think Apple uses its own database now): http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/

Location Services is not a "joke"; its intended use is for basic navigation and for such applications as determining where the nearest restaurant is. It cannot tell you that your iPod is under the couch cushions and that your iPhone is in the car.

i recently lost my iPod and ive been using find my iPhone to send messages to it, my email instantly tells me that it had been displayed or it suonded off however it doesn't find it's current location. you guys think this app actually works??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.