Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppStore Genius - does it work?

Ok, so maybe I'm missing the blindingly obvious here, but I have Genius turned on and am looking at a page of recommended iPad Apps in the App Store on my iPad. I see ones I'm not interested in, I click "Not Interested" and the button turns dark gray, but nothing updates.

I can go More, and Back, and the ones I've selected as Not Interested are still there. I can pick another category, I can then return to the category I was in, and ones I've marked as Not Interested are still displayed.

So ... how on earth do I get it to take note that I'm Not Interested? On my iPhone, it's easy, I swipe, I delete. I get to the end of the list, I can click on More Recommendations and the list is infinite... and the ones I'm not interested in don't come back. On the iPad, none of that exists, seems like a poor second cousin.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can't see any way of getting it to update its selections and it never has more than a dozen or so recommendations.

Thanks for any help

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:52 AM

17 replies

Jul 29, 2012 11:36 AM in response to MarkeeMaark

I'm kinda astounded this has gone on so long. Has nobody at Apple noticed? They have an entire 'tab' of the AppStore (as viewed on the iPad) that is broken.

I tried contacting support about it, but as I've no AppleCare they want me to raise a paid incident - I tried explaining it was a bug in their stuff and they may be interested in fixing what is essentially a sales tool, but no dice.

I've also filed it on the feedback page, but that was weeks ago.

Apple. Wake. Up! (he shouts into the void...)

Aug 10, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Jemster

Ridiculous isn't it? App store works great on iPhone. When you eliminate a suggested app in the genius list, it stays gone. Not so on the iPad. I say not interested to apps and they reappear over and over. Rebooting, shutting down, makes no difference. I guess that's why I haven't bought any new apps for sometime. Wish they'd do something about this.

Aug 22, 2012 3:03 AM in response to Jemster

So I thought I'd try something novel and new. I disabled Genius on my iPad, thinking that just possibly, there was an outside chance that if I disabled it and then re-enabled it some time later, perhaps it would work.

I re-enabled it 4 days ago.

Apparently "You do not currently have any recommendations in this category" still...

It's kinda sounding like Genius for Apps on the iPad is an ex-Feature and doesn't actually exist any more in a workable form?

AppStore Genius - does it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.