Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 5:28 PM by barquis123
Jemster Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Ok, so maybe I'm missing the blindingly obvious here, but I have Genius turned on and am looking at a page of recommended iPad Apps in the App Store on my iPad. I see ones I'm not interested in, I click "Not Interested" and the button turns dark gray, but nothing updates.

I can go More, and Back, and the ones I've selected as Not Interested are still there. I can pick another category, I can then return to the category I was in, and ones I've marked as Not Interested are still displayed.

So ... how on earth do I get it to take note that I'm Not Interested? On my iPhone, it's easy, I swipe, I delete. I get to the end of the list, I can click on More Recommendations and the list is infinite... and the ones I'm not interested in don't come back. On the iPad, none of that exists, seems like a poor second cousin.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can't see any way of getting it to update its selections and it never has more than a dozen or so recommendations.

Thanks for any help

iPad, iOS 5.1
  • Jemster Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Does nobody else use Genius on their iPad? Or does this work for other people? I'm curious that noone else has noticed this?

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 Level 7 (27,890 points)

I don't use Genius lists, particularly for apps, but in taking a look, it appears that the list will update if you completely close the app store.  Otherwise, you might want to send some feedback to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Thanks for the reply - so you are seeing the same behaviour, it's not just me doing something wrong or an issue with my AppStore configuration on the pad. I thought I must have been missing something really obvious.

Jemster wrote:

Thanks for the reply - so you are seeing the same behaviour, it's not just me doing something wrong or an issue with my AppStore configuration on the pad. I thought I must have been missing something really obvious.

No, that doesn't appear to be the case.

• gdun5 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I have the same problem. Have used the Genius for months. This just started about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks, I've logged it on the feedback page. Would be good to get it fixed as Genius is a bit useless without it!

As I pointed out above there is a work around. May not be convenient, but it does work. I would be quite surprised if it is treated a major issue, but would think there is a decent chance of it being fixed in a future release. No way of telling when that might be.

• gdun5 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Completely quitting the app. Quitting all aps and shutting down. None of those things work for me.

Completely quitting mans double click on home button and quit all apps that are open.

• Djomy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Im having the exact same problem and nothing seems to fix it, i emailed support, hopefully it gets fixed soon, im looking to dowload more apps

• MarkeeMaark Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes. Same problem for me with no work around. All I get when I quit the App Store completely, then go back to Genius, is the same recommended apps appearing with the buttons no longer greyed out!??

Very frustraighting!

I'm kinda astounded this has gone on so long. Has nobody at Apple noticed? They have an entire 'tab' of the AppStore (as viewed on the iPad) that is broken.

I tried contacting support about it, but as I've no AppleCare they want me to raise a paid incident - I tried explaining it was a bug in their stuff and they may be interested in fixing what is essentially a sales tool, but no dice.

I've also filed it on the feedback page, but that was weeks ago.

Apple. Wake. Up! (he shouts into the void...)

• RM Gitzlaff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ridiculous isn't it?  App store works great on iPhone. When you eliminate a suggested app in the genius list, it stays gone. Not so on the iPad. I say not interested to apps and they reappear over and over. Rebooting, shutting down, makes no difference. I guess that's why I haven't bought any new apps for sometime. Wish they'd do something about this.

So I thought I'd try something novel and new. I disabled Genius on my iPad, thinking that just possibly, there was an outside chance that if I disabled it and then re-enabled it some time later, perhaps it would work.

I re-enabled it 4 days ago.

Apparently "You do not currently have any recommendations in this category" still...

It's kinda sounding like Genius for Apps on the iPad is an ex-Feature and doesn't actually exist any more in a workable form?

• RM Gitzlaff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I agree with Jemster. Now, instead of putting the same apps back after I rejected them, I have no suggestions. The iPhone genius works great, so though I have more apps on my iPad, they can't come up with any suggestions. This is especially odd as I've purchased games that have sequels and they don't even suggest them.

Previous 1 2 Next