Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail is not updating in my Lion Mail software. Are there settings I should check to determine why??

About one week ago, the Mail software program on my iMac (running Lion 10.7.3) stopped updating my email from my Gmail account. I didn't knowingly change any settings, either on Gmail or on Mail. The Gmail updates as expected on both my iPhone and my iPad.

Does anyone have suggestions for settings I might check (or actions I might undertake) to resolve this?

Thank you so much!

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:03 AM

What's not updating? Can you recieve Mail? Are you getting error messages?

6 replies

Apr 24, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

It does have the online/offline option. It's online. I've switched it on and off and on (multiple times in the past, trying to get it started again) and recreated a duplicate mailbox (which only exhibits the same behavior... able to send email but not able to download received emails).

Gmail is set up as IMAP.

The mailboxes at the bottom of the sidebar are...

All Mail

Drafts

Important

Sent Mail

Spam

Starred

Trash

Thanks for your suggestions and pondering!

Apr 24, 2012 7:35 AM in response to SeaKayaker

Notice that your IMAP mailboxes for Sent Mail and Trash are still in the IMAP folder for that account. That means those folders are not syncing with the website or any other device you're using with this account. Inbox is automatically set up with IMAP. All of the other mailboxes under Mail's main mailboxes for that account are only local mailboxes.

If that's how you want it, that fine. If you want it to sync between all devices and website, you will need to map the IMAP mailboxes to Mail's main mailboxes.

Ex: Select and highlight Sent Mail under IMAP folder, go to Mailboxes in the menu and choose Use This Mailbox For - Sent. The IMAP Sent Mail mailbox will be moved to Mail's Sent mailbox.

Gmail is not updating in my Lion Mail software. Are there settings I should check to determine why??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.