Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting OS 9.2 Screenshot to other format

I use several Macs. One runs OS9.2.2 and I made a screen shot of a file that I can easily open and read in OS9. The "get info" on the file says: "SimpleText document" size "252 k," "Version n/a"

I sent it to my new iMac running Lion but could not open it to see the file. It is a picture.

How can I see or convert the screenshot file made on OS9.2.2 on my OSX Lion system?

PowerMac, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:43 AM

A screenshot that you make using the Command-Shift-3 or Command-Shift-4 key combinations is saved in PICT format — a file format that Simpletext can display, but not create. A PICT file would have a file extension of .pct for newer computers.

If you have some graphic app on the OS 9 Mac, open the file and change it to a different format like .jpg. Then you can open in Lion.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2012 11:43 AM in response to BillfromQueenstown

A screenshot that you make using the Command-Shift-3 or Command-Shift-4 key combinations is saved in PICT format — a file format that Simpletext can display, but not create. A PICT file would have a file extension of .pct for newer computers.

If you have some graphic app on the OS 9 Mac, open the file and change it to a different format like .jpg. Then you can open in Lion.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Converting OS 9.2 Screenshot to other format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.