Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaunchCFMApp is hogging CPU

LaunchCFMApp process is hogging CPU and I can see the process take a CPU to 100%. How can I figure out why this process is running so hot and how can I reduce its need to hog the CPU?

Cheers

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 1:42 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2012 1:52 PM in response to Noah Wallach

The process is caused by an old PPC program that is not fully compatible with an Intel CPU. The process itself is not the problem; it's the PPC program that is. Find out what old PowerPC program you are running and kill it. Does that help?

My best guess is that it's a MS Office program like Word or Excel, perhaps Photoshop, perhaps something else in your login or startup items.

Jan 8, 2013 3:30 PM in response to X423424X

Nice answer, thanks. To add that if the thing it's trying to launch looks safe to kill ( mine was something like Microsoft office 2004 Database blah blah old thingy I surely dont want ) then you can kill it by taking the number in the first column of output and doing this

( suppose the output was this

32111 ?? R 174:01.73 /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp /Applications/MicroCrap/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Microsoft Database Daemon

39877 s001 S+ 0:00.00 grep -i launchcfmapp

then you do this in terminal to kill it

sudo kill 32111

LaunchCFMApp is hogging CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.