Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Available space does not change

Hi,

during the last weeks my Time Capsule did not change the available disk space. I have backed up a lot of files but the available space sticks at 512.98.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Oliver

Power Mac 8 core, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:17 PM

13 replies

Apr 29, 2012 1:31 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Thanks William,

Yes, I am using Time Machine. The panel shows a successful backup and I have changed a lot of files.

What I am asking for is that the available space in the time machine panel does not change. It shows the same amount during backups for weeks. Whaen no backup is running I can only see some dashes...

Kind Regards

Oliver

May 2, 2012 7:38 PM in response to Oliver Hoeveler

Oliver Hoeveler wrote:

I do not think so.

Do you think so based on your following statement or because of something else?

As the TM panel does not show the disk space as no backup is running.

It won't, as the "sparsebundle" file containing your backups isn't mounted when Time Machine isn't running. You can mount that yourself. Select your Time Capsule from a Finder window sidebar, then the "Data" volume (presuming you didn't change its name). In the Data volume double-click the "sparsebundle" file to mount it. You should now see space reported in the Time Machine panel of System Preferences.

May 2, 2012 8:32 PM in response to Oliver Hoeveler

If you have deleted files from your Mac in the past.....these files will usually stay on the Time Capsule for some period of time. Could be months or many months.

But, at some unknown point in time....Time Machine will delete those files from the backups to clear space. When it does that, you would think that the sparsebundle would then show more available space on the drive....but it does not do that.

Sparsebundle files are curious items......they "grow" as files are added, but they do not appear to shrink when files are deleted.

For example....The sparsebundle file might have grown to 100 GB. But Time Machine deleted 5 GB. The sparsebundle file will continue to show as 100 GB until the space that was gained when the files were deleted fills back up to 100 GB. At that point, the sparsebundle file will start to "grow" again.

This is very likely what is happening on your Time Capsule at this time.

If you have been checking your backups by going into Time Machine and everything appears to be normal, then I would not be concerned.

It is possible to "shrink" the sparsebundle file and have it display the actual space that is being used. But, you have to use Terminal commands to do this.

We can give you the commands to "compact" the sparsebundle if you want them....but unless you are an experienced Mac programmer, I would stay away. The Terminal is a very scary place.

May 3, 2012 12:53 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for all your support folks.

Maybe I was a little missunderstandable. I have added a lot of new ripped songs to iTunes and did not delete a lot of files.

When I open the TM panel when no backup is running I can see "Available: --" Only the two dashes are displayed. The display will change to "Available: 512.98 GB" if a backup is starting. The panel is showing this 512.98 for weeks.

Thanks

Oliver

Available space does not change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.