Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth plist entries

I have off and on problems with Bluetooth Magic Mouse, a keyboard and a touchpad that appear to "get lost" connecting to a Lion based Mac mini. Various resets eventually solve the problem. Right now it's working fine. I was looking for a Safari plist file and stumbled acrosss the fact that I have 100's of Bluetooth .plist files. The first entry is just a plain Bluetooth.plist. The remainder have numbers and letters embedded in the file names. My wife has a mac mini that also has Lion with a bluetooth wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse that never has a problem. We both have iPhones and iPads obviously with Bluetooth.

Are 100's of Bluetooth entries normal? Could it be the cause of my apparent "lost" phenomena?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Second Mac Mini at same level

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:20 PM

13 replies

Apr 26, 2012 3:00 PM in response to X423424X

Here's a sample. There are 100's. I assume the first on is the "normal" entry?

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0A0J5Ue

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0a1x93n

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0A2ubbH

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0a4Z1lm

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0a5YAul

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0a7PbUe

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0A9ztL2

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0a57YR3

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0A88tre

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0AAJiRj

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.0aAZY4C

Apr 26, 2012 7:13 PM in response to mojonorm

Oh those. I wanted to make sure because your original description about numbers and letters embedded in the name wasn't clear to me.

I will bet if you look through your Preferences directory you may find other .plist.xxxxx (xxxx consisting of numbers and letters). I get them with pbs.plist. For me it is so bad I added a line to the periodic daily maintenance scripts to remove them.

What you are seeing is a bug. When a plist is updated, for safety a copy of the original is made as a working copy and that is updated. The copy has the intermediate name with the garbage letters and numbers after it. Once the working copy is updated the original plist is removed and the working copy copied to the actual .plist file. The working copy is then supposed to be removed. The problem is that in some cases, apparently your com.apple.Bluetooth.plist case, the working intermediate is not removed. So they accumulate. And that is what you are seeing. They are useless.

You can remove the whole bunch in one terminal command. Open Terminal (in Utilities) and copy/paste the following line.

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.*

Poof, they're gone. Well until you see another buildup of them again. And you will. It's a bug. I use Snow Leopard so it's not a new bug.

Feb 15, 2014 2:53 PM in response to mojonorm

Here's what worked for me.

1. Turn off BT keyboard.

2. Turn off BT on the Mac you're using.

3. Turn on BT keyboard, it will not 'see' the Mac computer and make itself discoverable.

4. Re-pair with the Mac.

I used this Aluminum BT keyboard before with this mac so it may have thought it was paired and didn't make itself discoverable.

Works now!

Love it!

Bluetooth plist entries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.