Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ichat video not working.

I attempting to video chat with my mother who is using ichat 6 on a brand new macbook air (with Lion). I am using a brand new macbook pro (with Lion) and ichat 6. We are both using AIM accounts, both have Video Chat Enabled, both have "View Video Status", both see each other's green video icon and are both able to click the icon.

When she sends me a video chat request I can "Accept" the chat request. Once I do that, on her screen it just says "Waiting for response" and the little circle just keeps spinning. For me, after "Accepting" the video chat,, nothing happens, the "Accept/Decline" buttons disappear and it just says "Video chat invitation from xxx" - with the video of myself. It seems as though clicking Accept does not actually accept the connection.

When I send her a video chat request. I just see "Waiting for response" and she doesnt even get an invitation request.

After waiting long enough - I get "There was a communication error during your ichat"

"Ichat didnt receive a response from [Video Chat initiators name]"

iChat Connection Log:

2012-04-24 18:16:05 -0400: 0x7fe438272170: State change from Waiting to Connecting.

2012-04-24 18:19:05 -0400: 0x7fe438272170: State change from Connecting to Ended.

2012-04-24 18:19:05 -0400: 0x7fe438272170: Error 1008 (Did not receive a response from 0x7fe438272170.)

Video Conference Error Report:

This makes no sense, please help!

Thanks,

Justin

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Macbook AIR to Macbook PRO - Lion

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:30 PM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2012 2:21 PM in response to JRL3031

Hi,

Error 1008 (formerly Error 8 in older versions) is a bit of a catchall error code.

It can mean anything about iChat that means it cannot connect Video Or Audio Chats. (or more to the point - that iChat can pin down to anything specific)

iChat works like this:

You (or your Buddy) send the Visible Invite. This is on Port 5678 using the UDP Protocol

As it is accepted then iChat moves ports to port 16402 and send an SIP invite (behind the scenes)

This is what is reflected in the log.

(if the Invite is declined then you don't get a log)

The detail of the log can provide clues.

Basically that can be a fair bit to look at.

Only the bits below the line that reads "Binary Images for iChat" can be ignored (I don't need to see them)

Causes

Ports that iChat uses not being open in the router

Use UPnP if you have it (at both ends)

Using WiFi and Ethernet at the same time.

This gives your computer two IPs and iChat cannot resolve this.

This includes sharing a neighbours WiFi and being Ethernetted to your Own LAN

iChat not being allowed in the Firewall

You will notice if it is On and you look in the Advanced Button the list of allowed apps only talks about Incoming connections. (You can make outgoing ones)

DNS issues

Add a Public DNS server to System Preferences > Network > Advanced Button > DNS tab

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are two Google Public DNS servers

Pings being Blocked.

In the Firewall one of the Check boxes is for Ping Blocking (Stealth)

If ON then ichat will not work as it send Pings to confirm where the Visible Invite went is where the SIP data is coming from.

At the same time your router (And your Buddy's) should not be blocking Pings

User uploaded file
10:21 PM Wednesday; April 25, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

ichat video not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.