Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone gives alerts indiscriminantly

About a week ago my iPhone began to give indiscriminate alerts, CONSTANTLY! What's even more strange, the alert sound is not found on any of the alerts that my iPhone offers. It's a type of chime with three beats. It doesn't chime on the hour or around texts, voice mail, etc. Sometimes it will chime everytime ten plus minutes for three or four times. Then, nothing for three or four hours. Then one chime. I had to turn it off at night because it would start singing in the middle of the night. Help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:02 PM

8 replies

Apr 28, 2012 12:03 PM in response to Tom Perkins1

A little more info. It's four "beats" not three. It has a two part harmony. It sounds like short church bells. The first two beats are the same set of notes. The third beat goes up one note and the fourth beat goes back down to the first two original beats. Can't find anything that sounds like this on my alerts.

I'm sure this sounds something between OCD and paranoia but it's really getting old. I'm thinking of resetting my iPhone to see if that would take it away.

Apr 30, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

I have been getting these chimes too!

There's got to be a way to figure this out. Must be an app pushing a notification. What did you download recently? Maybe it's a nudge from Draw Something or Mint when a transaction goes through. Keep looking and I'll report back if I find anything.

Btw, my condolences for the loss of your mother and her friend.

May 1, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

I was watching Netflix on my iPad when that chime interupted the audio but not the stream itself. It just superimposed itself over the audio and when it was done playing the video's audio came back to the forefront as it wasn't muted just thrown into the background. I was wearing headphones so I knew I was hearing right.

A coworker suggested it was the sound of recieving new email but I've had that sound turned off since the original iPhone came out. And it concerns me more because it's not just my iPhone making this sound. I wonder if it's an iOS issue/bug/feature. It's such a mystery because it has to be indicating something and I just want to know what it is and eventually how to disable it.

Tom have you been able to record the sound? It's so sporadic on my end that I'd never be ready to catch it but your experience seems to have sporadic fits. Maybe a genius can figure it out from hearing the chime. I hear a harmonic two tone chime like a doorbell. Higher note, lower note.

May 1, 2012 8:54 PM in response to Ernesto of Los Angeles

Sorry I'm so late. Just got back from the insane asylum. Ernesto, I think you solved or partially solved it for me. I think you are spot on in that it's some kind of app alert. I did, in fact, add a new Comcast app and that seems like when the trouble started. Sooooo, I probably should have just removed the one app or one at a time till the chime stopped. Being an impatient man, I reset the whole phone. Took about half an hour to restore. Voila! NO MORE CHIMES!!!!!!

So, my sanity has returned and I also dumped the Comcast app. So far, so good. Many thanks for the tip!!

May 8, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Ernesto of Los Angeles

I found the app making the chime! Google's GMail App makes this chime with any new emails that get pushed. It's a pleasant tone however the app doesn't use the notification center so I couldn't figure out to what I was being alerted. Did a quick test and got the app to chime by sending myself an email. It makes sense now that I think about the times I heard it chime on both my iPad and iPhone at the same time. Both were running the app in the background.

Will see if there's an option to turn off the chime in settings under the gmail app.

iPhone gives alerts indiscriminantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.