Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB not spinning down at idle under MacOS Lion

I and several people are reporting that the Seagate Momentus XT 750GB does not spinning down at idle under MacOS Lion. Do any of you have this drive and have similar problems? This is a notebook hard drive and I have it in my MacBook Pro (late 2009), but others report this in other models, like the late 2011 and mid 2010 MacBook Pros.

The drive will only spin down when I force the laptop to sleep by choosing Sleep under the Apple menu or closing the lid. However it does not spin down under normal use, nor does it seem to let the laptop go to sleep.

This seems like it might be an OS problem. Are others experiencing this? I am also looking for answers from Seagate, via their tech support and also their forums here.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), seagate momentus XT 750GB

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:27 PM

24 replies

Apr 30, 2012 7:58 AM in response to pflau

You have the 750GB and are you sure it is actually spinning down?

Before, if I left my MBP sit idle normally the stock drive would spin down. Now with the Momentus XT 750GB I can leave it for a while, the MBP does not usually go to sleep. I can put my ear to the chassis and hear the drive spinning and when launch something I hear the drive access, but I do not hear it spin up. Therefore it was aready spinning.

To see the difference, force the laptop to sleep, then put your ear on the chassis and lsten for the spin up.

May 3, 2012 9:16 PM in response to swankallcity

swankallcity wrote:

You have the 750GB and are you sure it is actually spinning down?

Before, if I left my MBP sit idle normally the stock drive would spin down. Now with the Momentus XT 750GB I can leave it for a while, the MBP does not usually go to sleep. I can put my ear to the chassis and hear the drive spinning and when launch something I hear the drive access, but I do not hear it spin up. Therefore it was aready spinning.

To see the difference, force the laptop to sleep, then put your ear on the chassis and lsten for the spin up.

I have the 750 and the 500 (in a different machine) they both spin down when the lid is closed, within 2 to 3 seconds, the 750 is extremely quiet and can be hard to hear.

May 3, 2012 9:23 PM in response to Csound1

Right, mine spins down when the lid is closed or when I force it to sleep. That is not the problem I am trying to explain.

Under normal use the disk will spin down when idle, then later the machine will go to sleep. As I mentioned in my first post, neither of these happen since installing the Momentus XT 750. I have to either close the lid or choose "Sleep" from the Apple menu to force the laptop to sleep.

Csound1, will your machine spin down or go to sleep by itself when idle?

May 3, 2012 9:28 PM in response to swankallcity

swankallcity wrote:

Right, mine spins down when the lid is closed or when I force it to sleep. That is not the problem I am trying to explain.

Under normal use the disk will spin down when idle, then later the machine will go to sleep. As I mentioned in my first post, neither of these happen since installing the Momentus XT 750. I have to either close the lid or choose "Sleep" from the Apple menu to force the laptop to sleep.

Csound1, will your machine spin down or go to sleep by itself when idle?

Idle? what's that 🙂

My machine goes to sleep at the interval I set it to when idle, it also goes to sleep when I close the lid, I have not selected 'Put Hard Drives to Sleep When Possible' so the drive does not spin down until it is asleep, but that is by choice.

May 6, 2012 10:39 PM in response to swankallcity

Hi Swankallcity,

I'm having the same problem, but even worse than just not spinning down.

I've bought a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB, installed in my MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010 (which came with a Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM), created single partition and restored my OS (Lion 10.7.3) straight from TimeMachine (4th generation TimeCapsule).

Everything worked like a charm, until I noticed the MBP wouldn't wake up from sleep.

So if I put the computer to sleep, it works just fine - it spins down the drive and the white light starts flashing. But if I leave the computer like that overnight, next day it doesn't wake up. I can hear the drive spinning, but nothing happens, so I have to help power button to shutdown and then start it again.

I changed my settings to go to sleep after a minute idle, and it turns off the screen, the while light comes up but doesn't flash and the disk keeps spinning. If I press anything it wakes up though, but I'm not sure if it will after a few hours.

So reading about the issue on every single forum out there, I decided to clean install Lion. I'm doing it as I write this and hope it will fix the problem. I think I'm not going to restore from TimeMachine even after a clean install, just to see how it goes.

I can't believe it's a compatibility issue as the hard drive which came with the MBP is a Seagate Momentus as well (just older and not hybrid). They actually physically look exactly the same, but one reading "Seagate Momentus 500GB" and the other "Seagate Momentus XT 750GB".

I have another XT running in a HP Elitebook 8460p with Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit (bought both together at the same store) and it runs beautifully, no problems what so ever.

I will let you know how it goes as soon as I finish the install and my testings 🙂

May 8, 2012 3:14 AM in response to swankallcity

Ok, here is what happens now.

I've changed my settings to go to sleep in 5 minutes when using battery power and left the computer idle for the 5 minutes, running Safari, Firefox, iTunes, App Store and Mac OS Preferences.

After 5 minutes, the display goes black, the white light in front of the MacBook Pro comes on and I can still hear the disk spinning (or maybe the fans, can't be sure). After about 5 minutes, the white light finally starts flashing and the MBP goes silent.

Have done that about 5 times, and the MBP wakes up like a charm!

Hope this helps 🙂

PS.: "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" is ticket.

Jun 19, 2012 12:42 PM in response to swankallcity

to swankallcity

Hello,

I am experiencing exactly the same issues. I drives me nuts, really. I do believe is because of the HDD since with my previous Hitachi HDD I never experienced such a behaviour.

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2009, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 8GB RAM, I did a completely fresh install of Lion (installation made by an Apple Authorized Service Center!)

Any ideas on how to solve it? Should I try exchanging the HDD, maybe I have a faulty one? Or it's just an incompatibility of these Momentum XT HDD with Macbook Pro and Lion?

Any help very much appreciated!

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB not spinning down at idle under MacOS Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.