Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About Reparing Permissions

I´ve heard that you must (Repair Permissions) every month, is this true?

iPod classic, 30gb BLACK

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:04 AM

No. You really (almost) never need to repair permissions. It doesn't repair any of your stuff or third party stuff and system permissions don't really get modified, or if they do, it's for the better.

Here's cute artical on the topic from of all places, Unsanity. It's old (May 2005) but the resoning is ageless:

Exercises in Futility Part 2: Repairing Permissions is Useless

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 12:04 AM in response to Juanmaloco

No. You really (almost) never need to repair permissions. It doesn't repair any of your stuff or third party stuff and system permissions don't really get modified, or if they do, it's for the better.

Here's cute artical on the topic from of all places, Unsanity. It's old (May 2005) but the resoning is ageless:

Exercises in Futility Part 2: Repairing Permissions is Useless

Apr 25, 2012 12:09 AM in response to David M Brewer

I said "You really (almost) never need to repair permissions". And I beleive that. I I don't believe it is necessary when updating OS's either. But I'll admit, in that one case, and only in that one case, I do do a repair permissions.

This debate has been going on "forever" (it feels like "forever", as you can see that artival I reverences was from 2005) and it won't be settled in this thread nor any other. I've spoken my option ("no to repair permissions"). I'm sure the rest of theis thread will be update from both the "pro" and "con" camps on this topic.

About Reparing Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.