Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I restarted my computer with the updates and it said that it found the malware and was deleted. Is it permanently deleted? or is there a possibility that its still on my computer??? im very worried!!!

Im very scared that my mac is still infected with malware!! please help!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 9:21 AM

Fear not. If it says it was deleted by Apple's own software, it is believable.

If you really are paranoid:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-ed ition.aspx

Is the only free anti-virus currently known to monitor for all versions of this virus.

13 replies

Apr 25, 2012 2:13 PM in response to April92

Yes, Apple's update to Java and its built-in malware protection immediately recognized and removed the threat. However, this Trojan is changing daily. That's why you should just turn Java (not JavaScript) off in the browser. With that off, even if you run across another infected site, nothing will happen since it requires Java to be enabled in order to get on your Mac.

JavaScript performs many, many common web tricks, like rollovers. A rollover example is the buttons across the top of this page. The button turns a darker gray when you roll the mouse cursor over it. That's one JavaScript function. Much of the web would stop working if you turned JavaScript off.

Java though, is used for very little on the web. I've had it off for months and haven't come across any site that wouldn't work without it.

Apr 25, 2012 5:27 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt, I don't know if you've ever run Firefox with NoScript, but if you did you might find that a lot of the web still functions without JavaScript. I agree it's often necessary, but often it only adds frills. And, what's really nice about NS is you can enable JS for the site itself when necessary and prevent unnecessary third party scripts, many of them ad trackers, from running.

Apr 25, 2012 7:40 PM in response to WZZZ

Hi WZZZ,

I wonder if, now that Safari accepts plug-ins, you can get similar items? It is rather amazing how much of the web is set up to track, store and analyze your purchasing and browsing habits; all the better to target you with spam more likely to pique your interest. Enough trips to eBay shows that. You can randomly select any one item and close your browser. Go back to eBay and the front page is suddenly filled with similar items.

Apr 25, 2012 7:55 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I've seen NoScript wannabes for other browsers. I think there's one for Camino and Chrome; I haven't heard of one for Safari. But they seem to be basically only on/off switches for JavaScript. I don't know if they provide the kind of fine grained control or other security features (anti-clickjacking and XSS are a few) that NoScript provides. By default, NoScript scrubs the JavaScript tracking redirects when using Google search.

It was the main reason I stopped using Safari a number of years ago. Now that I'm using Firefox, I've discovered many other useful extensions.

Whenever I've been forced to use Safari, as when I had a problem with my Firefox profile briefly a while ago, I feel really defenseless and uncomfortable without that kind of control.

http://noscript.net/features

I restarted my computer with the updates and it said that it found the malware and was deleted. Is it permanently deleted? or is there a possibility that its still on my computer??? im very worried!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.