3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2014 1:08 PM by Keith Gardner1
Steven Shmerler Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

I want to back up my iCal on my Mac before converting to iCloud. I see via the File drop down menu, I can either;

File > Export > Export

or

File > Export > iCal Archive

Apple docs just addresses: iCal Archive for backing up which is fine.

But I was wondering what the Export > Export function is for. Is it a different file format than iCal Archive thus allowing you to import and Export > Export to perhaps another calendar program other than iCal?

Mac Pro 3.0 GHz Quad-Core, iPad WiFi/3G, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 30" HP Display, 22" Cinema Display
  • Austin Kinsella1 Level 6 Level 6 (11,520 points)

Backup, as the name implies, is a backup. With export on the other hand you can select an individual calendar or events and put them on your disk as an ics file, which is then readable by other calendar software.

• Steven Shmerler Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

Thanks Austin.

• Keith Gardner1 Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)

Austin, your response doesn't fully satisfy the question. First, while you're right that "backup" would imply that it's a backup, the word "backup" doesn't actually appear in the menu options. Some time has gone by from the original post and the original product names, but the concept of two choices still remains. They now are given as "Export…" and "Calendar Archive…" (previously it was "Export…" and "iCal Archive…").

According to other sources, "Export…" is used to export a single file, to later import to another calendar program or perhaps another computer.

"Calendar Archive…", on the other hand, is supposedly used to export ALL your calendars, and subsequently to import to a new Calendar on a different Mac (or, of course, to reload the current one). It seems to me that someone wanting to take their whole calendar environment off their office computer and get it onto a laptop or a home computer would want to use Calendar Archive rather than Export.