Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I modified a photo and iphoto won't import it to my library because it says it's already there. But the modified photo is NOT there. What can I do?

I modified a photo in elements and iphoto won't import it to my library because it says it's already there but the modified photo is NOT there. What can I do?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:12 PM

10 replies

Apr 25, 2012 2:49 PM in response to sheilaniner

Did the edited version have the same file name as the orignal? That's probably why it indicated that it was already in the library. But you don't need to save the editied version outside of the library and import. Did you have Elements setup to work from within iPhoto.

Here's how to use PS Elements from inside iPhoto:

Using Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done. 3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements 9 the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file
Click to view full size

NOTE: If you want to use both iPhoto's editing mode and PS without having to go back and forth to the Preference pane, once you've selected PS as your editor of choice, reset the Preferences back to "Open in main window". That will let you either edit in iPhoto (double click on the thumbnail) or in PS (Control-click on the thumbnail and seledt "Edit in external editor" in the Contextual menu). This way you get the best of both worlds.

OT

May 20, 2012 9:31 AM in response to Old Toad

First-sorry for the delayed reply. I had edited the photo in PSE as the editor of choice within iphoto and saved it with a different name. That's what is puzzling about iphoto saying it was already in the library??? What did finally occur is that I dragged the modified photo to my desktop and then to the library and it imported---but in a separate film roll. My goal was to have it side by side with the original which I was able to do in a separate file. More moving of stuff around than I think should be necessary. Kind of feels like decisions are made FOR me sometimes. I did make the change to having iphoto be the main editor with the option to edit in PSE.

Thanks for your help.

Sheila

May 23, 2012 10:09 PM in response to Old Toad

Version 6.0.6. There doesn't seem to be a way to drag one roll to another roll under the Library heading. Only one ROLL ICON is visible with the number of rolls one wants to view on the monitor next to the icon (max-25).

That's ok. I'll just deal with it the way it is. I know where the photo is and can access it. That's the most important thing. Thanks for all your help.

I modified a photo and iphoto won't import it to my library because it says it's already there. But the modified photo is NOT there. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.