Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to verify ip network printer

My boss and I are both using Macbook Pro's running Snow Leopard. We have always used IP based network printers for printing. He decided this morning he needed to print to a different printer on the network.

When he tried to add the printer on his mac he goes to IP printer, used LPD, and starts to type in the IP address of the printer. It never comes back from verifying the printer. If he forces it, it won't print to it.

Since we are identical configurations I tried it on mine, followed the exact same steps and yet I can add the printer no problem.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong on his Mac? He can ping the printer by IP, he just can't add it. I also checked to make sure he and I are on the same VLAN.

Thanks in advance for any help people can provide!

-Paul

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:20 PM

Okay, I've managed to work around the problem. Not sure why the GUI wouldn't validate, but I found out about the CUPS administration web page running on port 631, and I was able to add the printer via that, and it looks like he was able to then see the printer in his system preferences and print to it. In fact he just brought down a print out he sent to it. So I guess I answered my own problem in a way.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 12:20 PM in response to jplynch

Okay, I've managed to work around the problem. Not sure why the GUI wouldn't validate, but I found out about the CUPS administration web page running on port 631, and I was able to add the printer via that, and it looks like he was able to then see the printer in his system preferences and print to it. In fact he just brought down a print out he sent to it. So I guess I answered my own problem in a way.

Feb 8, 2014 1:18 PM in response to jplynch

Im having the same problem.

I had my HP Officejet Pro 8500A connected to my imac for over a year with no issues. Then one day it quit working and wouldnt connect.

Since then i have deleted the printer and have tried to add it again but it doesnt seem to work.

When i click the + button to add printer nothing shows up in the default menu.

When i go into the "IP" tab and enter my ip address i keep getting an error message:

"unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to '192.168.1.73' due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?"

I tried using the IPP setting as well as the LPD setting and neither will work.

My printer is connected to my wireless network. Any idea how to fix this and get it connected again?

Unable to verify ip network printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.