Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need an app that can emulate IE and run a .net website

I have a website written in .net that does not work in Safari. Using the OnLive Desktop IOS app, I can access Internet Explorer 9 and run the website successfully. But this app requires a subscription. Is there any other app that would provide an emulation of the IE9 browser so that I can run this website? Ideally, I would like it to run off the iPad...not a 3rd party server. Thanks!!!

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:52 PM

8 replies

Apr 25, 2012 1:19 PM in response to Demo

For a website - in terms of access and viewability, .net should be irrelevant. The sites functionality, on the other hand, might be, particularly if it attempts to use Windows Services in any way or includes anything like Active X controls. iCab or similar browsers that allow changing the browser ID might help access consumable functions that could be restricted to mobile devices, but in other cases may not.

Apr 25, 2012 1:33 PM in response to Demo

It really depends on the site and what it does. But the fact that it is using .net doesn't matter. .net runs on the server, not the client. The majority of sites that use asps pages, for example (most commercial sites that retrieve data), use .net. As a user you wouldn't know and shouldn't be concerned about. So, using iCab may very well help the OP. if it doesn't, that has very little to do directly with .net.

Apr 25, 2012 2:01 PM in response to egruber

The problem is that the website is coded with hyphens pairs comment tags (<!--<![endif]-->) that makes the HTML5 parser skip loading the main.css stylesheet by placing that line in a comment. For that reason, it only runs in IE in compatibility mode, otherwise the pages don't render properly. Firefox can do it with a mod to the config file. Safari cannot handle this, and neither can the iPad native browser.

Having the IOS browser like Atomic identify itself as IE does not do the trick. I need an alternative IOS browser that can handle this problem. Using IE in OnLive Dektop works, but is not my preferred solution. And it is not easy to modify the offending website.

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Need an app that can emulate IE and run a .net website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.