Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I calculate fuel consumption?

Hello

As a long-time newbie to Numbers 2.1, I came across a long-term problem I haven't been able to solve:

How do I calculate the fuel-consumption of my car based on refuel-amount and mileage indicator?

I think I should do as follow:

purchased_fuel / (recent_mileage - previous_mileage), but I don't find a clue to do an automated (recent_mileage - previous_mileage) in Numbers!

Any help?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 160 SSD

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:01 PM

User uploaded file

Here is a table that perfroms the math to compute MPG (Miles Per Gallon):

D3=(C3-C2)/B3

this means in cell D3 type (or paste from this post) "=(C3-C2)/B3" without the double quotes

to "expand" the formula, more properly known as fill then formula, select the cell D3, grab (click and hold) the little circle at the bottom-right of the cell and drag down as shown. One comment I have is that my car has a an odometer and two trip counters (A and B). I use "B" to keep track of mileage since the last fillup so rather than typing Odometer readings in I type the trip mileage.

In this case you would change the name of column C and the formula would be:

D3=C3/B3

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 3:01 PM in response to david braun

User uploaded file

Here is a table that perfroms the math to compute MPG (Miles Per Gallon):

D3=(C3-C2)/B3

this means in cell D3 type (or paste from this post) "=(C3-C2)/B3" without the double quotes

to "expand" the formula, more properly known as fill then formula, select the cell D3, grab (click and hold) the little circle at the bottom-right of the cell and drag down as shown. One comment I have is that my car has a an odometer and two trip counters (A and B). I use "B" to keep track of mileage since the last fillup so rather than typing Odometer readings in I type the trip mileage.

In this case you would change the name of column C and the formula would be:

D3=C3/B3

how do I calculate fuel consumption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.