Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i determine what the most recent os my imac will run?

How can i determine what the most recent os my iMac will run?

Serial Number QP6*****VUW

Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Currently running Version 10.5.8

<Edited by Host>

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:15 PM

Snow Leopard General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 1GB of memory
  • 5GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive for installation
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
  • Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Noel Kuck

Snow Leopard General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 1GB of memory
  • 5GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive for installation
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
  • Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Lion System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Apr 25, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Noel Kuck

It's not usually a good idea to post your serial number in a public forum. If you are able to edit the post I suggest removing it.

Based on the infomation you provided you have an iMac (20-inch Late 2006) system. According to the Lion specifications available at http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/ you need at least an Intel Core 2 Duo processor which you have. One concern I have is that your system may have a limited amount of memory which could really slow down the performance of your system when running Lion. If you want to upgrade to Lion I suggest maxing out the memory which according to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2821 is 3GB.

Apr 25, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Noel Kuck

You CAN run 10.7, but I don't advise it, buy the 10.6.3 upgrade disk from the Apple Store online and then backup files off the machine and upgrade to 10.6.3., then Software Update to 10.6.8 would be the BEST option for your older hardware and it will run most all of your 10.5 software and be faster than 10.5 or 10.7.

If you go to 10.7 it won't run nearly any of your 10.5 software and you will have to buy all new ones for a machine that's getting a little bit dated, near it's end of life stage. 10.7 will slow your machine down, especially with low RAM.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

At your machines stage, the hard drive is getting old, the vents are clogged up with dust and it's going to cost a bit to get the drive etc upgraded. You can if you wish, but 10.7 really needs more RAM (4GB) and a faster hard drive.

But your still subjected to the video card going out etc.

IMO upgrade to 10.6.8 and stay there until the wheels fall off, then buy a new 10.8 machine being released after this summer or 10.9 machine. 🙂

Harden your Mac against malware attacks

how can i determine what the most recent os my imac will run?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.