Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset System Audio Settings

I was messing with Audio MIDI Setup to have my Jawbone Jambox wireless speaker and the interal speaker play at the same time. I tried using an Aggregate Device and a Multi-Output Device. Neither worked. However now my computer will not play any audio, clicking the audio up or down buttons shows me a no sign and won't adjust the volume. The speaker in the menu bar is also grayed out. System Prefs audio and Audio MIDI Setup also freeze when I try opening them. What do I need to do to reset these system wide settings? (switching user accounts doesn't help)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:12 PM

Steps I've done:

• repaired permissions and disk
  • resetted the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • deleted the /~Library/Preferences/ move thecom.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist to which it froze for a bit, then restarted the computer.
  • plugging and unplugging a headphone to the headphone port hasn't helped.
  • resetted the PRAM and NVRAM (which increased the startup chime on the second startup)

I opened up Audio MIDI System and it froze again but finally opened, only to tell me "No Devices Found".

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 7:12 PM in response to lindahl22

Steps I've done:

• repaired permissions and disk
  • resetted the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • deleted the /~Library/Preferences/ move thecom.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist to which it froze for a bit, then restarted the computer.
  • plugging and unplugging a headphone to the headphone port hasn't helped.
  • resetted the PRAM and NVRAM (which increased the startup chime on the second startup)

I opened up Audio MIDI System and it froze again but finally opened, only to tell me "No Devices Found".

Aug 18, 2014 6:01 AM in response to lindahl22

Hi, I'm having a similar issue where my audio output device is now stuck on my Apple TV ever since I tried selecting it in System Preferences. I've tried the Terminal commands you've posted above, reboot my computer but nothing changed. Although I'm not quite sure, since the commands you've posted above in bullet points don't look like the commands I'm used to seeing. But then I'm not very experienced in using Terminal. Anyhow, can you please post those commands again exactly as you would type in Terminal. Also I'm interested in only resetting the audio in my computer, the last command seems to do more than that?

Thanks ahead.

Reset System Audio Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.