Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to avoid -108 error when finalizing a movie using i movie

I´m trying to finalize a Movie (15 minutes lenght) but when finalizing imovie send me back -108 error

I guess that it is because it is trying to convert full hd 1080, but I dont know how to reduce the size as well

any idea?

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1, imovie

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:49 PM

Is it possible that your Event clips are in h.264?

If so, I suggest that you right-click on your Event and see if iMovie offers to optimize your clips. This will convert them to Apple Intermediate Codec. It will place the originals in a folder called Movies/iMovie Original Movies, so you will still have a copy of the originals.

You export should go smoothly after optimizing.

If you do not optimize, then iMovie has to optimize on the fly, during the SHARE. This places a huge load on your computer. It is better to go ahead and optimize separately.

H.264 uses Group of Pictures compression. In this compression scheme, there is one full frame for every (say) 24 frames of video. The remaining frames are partial frames that contain info like what has changed since the previous frame, direction of motion, etc. Obviously, this is not good for editing, because if you edit out the full frame, the remaining frames are useless. So before editing or sharing, all these partial frames have to be resolved into full frames.

Apple Intermediate Codec is a full frame codec. Each frame has some compression, like the full frames in h.264, but all frames are full and they are independent of each other. You can cut wherever you like, and you can apply slow motion without worrying about where you start.

In Final Cut Pro X, you would use ProRes 422, another full frame codec.

You should expect Apple Intermediate Codec to be about 10X larger than the equivalent h.264 clip.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 7:49 PM in response to Juan L

Is it possible that your Event clips are in h.264?

If so, I suggest that you right-click on your Event and see if iMovie offers to optimize your clips. This will convert them to Apple Intermediate Codec. It will place the originals in a folder called Movies/iMovie Original Movies, so you will still have a copy of the originals.

You export should go smoothly after optimizing.

If you do not optimize, then iMovie has to optimize on the fly, during the SHARE. This places a huge load on your computer. It is better to go ahead and optimize separately.

H.264 uses Group of Pictures compression. In this compression scheme, there is one full frame for every (say) 24 frames of video. The remaining frames are partial frames that contain info like what has changed since the previous frame, direction of motion, etc. Obviously, this is not good for editing, because if you edit out the full frame, the remaining frames are useless. So before editing or sharing, all these partial frames have to be resolved into full frames.

Apple Intermediate Codec is a full frame codec. Each frame has some compression, like the full frames in h.264, but all frames are full and they are independent of each other. You can cut wherever you like, and you can apply slow motion without worrying about where you start.

In Final Cut Pro X, you would use ProRes 422, another full frame codec.

You should expect Apple Intermediate Codec to be about 10X larger than the equivalent h.264 clip.

how to avoid -108 error when finalizing a movie using i movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.