Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metallic plinking and buzzing sounds

I'm hearing an occasional metallic "plink" sound from the area of the
left grill on my Mac Book. I can hear the fan noise and what sounds like
a very faint, pulsating buzzing noise that sounds like the disk drive. The
plink is quiet, but easily heard and the buzzing is faint, but is a concern
because I hear it all the time, even when there is no disk activity. For
lack of a better way to describe it, it sounds like noisy ball bearings.

I'm worried that the plinking and continuous buzzing may indicate a
disk problem. Is there any way for me to check this? I'd rather not
migrate everything from my iMac onto the Mac Book until I'm sure
I know what's happening.

My system has the upgraded 100GB 7200 RPM disk.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Josh

Mac Book Pro 1.83GHz

Mac Book Pro

Mac Book Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2006 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2006 11:58 AM

Sorry John, I can’t help you out with this one. I can only say you’re not alone. It was described in another thread as, “ every 60-90 seconds, I’m hearing a sound similar to a droplet of water falling on a metal plate.” Bang-on if you ask me. Indeed I have this symptom as well, however I’ve been too busy with my “whine” issue to address it. I don’t suspect it’s a common problem though- he had no replies.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2006 11:58 AM in response to ibid

Sorry John, I can’t help you out with this one. I can only say you’re not alone. It was described in another thread as, “ every 60-90 seconds, I’m hearing a sound similar to a droplet of water falling on a metal plate.” Bang-on if you ask me. Indeed I have this symptom as well, however I’ve been too busy with my “whine” issue to address it. I don’t suspect it’s a common problem though- he had no replies.

Mar 5, 2006 12:28 PM in response to ibid

Some hard disk drives are generating these plinking sounds when the heads are parked in a safe position. This parking operation is initiiated by the drive itself after a period of inactivity. The auto park function has nothing to do with Apple's motion sensor, it's something which is integrated in the drive itself.

Cheers

Hans-Joachim

iMac 17" Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.4) owns also a bunch of PPC Macs

Metallic plinking and buzzing sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.