Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow downloading movies on Apple TV 2

My Apple TV was performing great, movies were playing within seconds of purchasing. Unfortunately approx 6 weeks ago movies started being extremely slow to load (over an hour). I hadn't made any changes to my router or changed ISP.

Since the problems have started I have

- Have checked DNS on Router and Apple TV and set as same as provided by ISP

- Have updated to latest version of Apple TV software

- Checked the internet performance with a speedtest, downloading 16 mbs.

I am in New Zealand and ISP is TelstraClear (on cable).

Any ideas?? This is really frustrating!

AppleTV 2

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:49 AM

29 replies

Apr 30, 2012 12:28 AM in response to mxgren

Same as mxgren. My apple tv was performing great and movies starting straight away. Last few have been extremely slow. i.e 5 hours to load or 10 hours to load. Absolutely silly. Got the apple tv to do a speed test which it did, but does not show the results.

I tested my network download at 7.76 Mbps, teste the house network at 116 to 130 Mbps (wireless). We are in New Zealand also and ISP is slinshot.

Any ideas, family is ready to toss the apple tv. decide to watch a movie one night and have to wait till the next for it to download !!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 30, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Gazzar P

Hi Gazzar, I have spoken with another 6 Apple TV users here at work. They are on different ISP's but all have experienced a significant downgrade in service over the past few weeks.

It must be a change made at Apple's end. Unless they rectify I don't think this product will have a future in the NZ market.

Jun 3, 2012 3:04 AM in response to bevanfromhamilton

Just been through a couple of weeks of back and fourth with Apple Care on this very issue. Was put through to the head of support in Singapore. Helpful at first, but the next day all communication via email between us ceased. Continued another case, as they had closed my last one without saying anything, and they now recommend I take my unit in for testing. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. But less comforting to think Apple probably do not care about NZ. I am going to reapproach Apple, having now found this thread, and will let you know how it goes. I'm a long time user of Apple products and I really think, just lately, their "care" is a lot less than it used to be.

Jun 3, 2012 11:00 AM in response to sargent444

I've never had fast intrent, 1 Mbps until about 18 months ago, around 4 Mbps or so now.

I've learned to live with AppleTV1/2 and their download issues in this regard, but I would quite agree that the last update has done something. Last time I rented a movie it gave no indication of download/buffering progress at all which was very frustrating and did not allow me to restrat after pausing without rebuffering.

AppleTV1 was streets ahead in terms of rentals on slower connections as it could actually store the stream on its hard drive so there was never a ned to rseatrt the buffering if you stopped midway.

Jun 6, 2012 11:40 PM in response to mxgren

HI All. Had enough with the latest movie download. It showed as fully downloaded and then when we played it it got to 9 minutes and 34 seconds and blanked. No matter what we did, it would go no further. So went back through itunes store, purchases had a link - report a problem - so we did with all the movies we have had issues with 3 in the last little while. They could offer no reall solutions but hve refunded all 3 movies. Under there terms and conditions they have no obligation to do this so figure they must know they have a problem. Give it a try. They will be able to tell at there end if anf how long a movie took to download. We included a network speed test to show we had no issues. Apple TV network setting speed check should also be able to show download speeds.

Jul 12, 2012 2:48 AM in response to mxgren

Just had another round with Apple Care -- this time with a replacement unit, 3rd gen ATV. WOW, got my first bad experience with a support person, who decided to hang up on me. Got through to another person who seems more helpful. The case is ongoing, but needless to say, it still doesn't work. And the company I took the original unit to did not do any testing, just gave me a new one. How is Apple supposed to learn about this issue with no testing? Anyway, will let you know what happens, again.

Aug 6, 2012 3:38 AM in response to bevanfromhamilton

Hi Bevan

My ISP is also TelstraClear. Have checked my DNS with them a couple of times, but to no avail. Any chance you could clarify: are you streaming or fully downloading before viewing? Are you going through a router, and if so, what make and model? Just curious, as we have a fairly intricate setup here. Will not go in to it yet as I have only just sent off another report to Apple.

Cheers

Aug 7, 2012 2:28 AM in response to deeland

Hi, to answer your questions

1. The DNS TelstraClear gave me was 203.97.78.43 and 203.97.78.44 which was different from the one in the automatic settings

2. I am streaming movies (when I had problems, it would say that 3+ hours before I could start to view the movie)

3. Yes I am using a router, it was the one provided by TelstraClear - a Nettcom ADSl2 + WiFi N300 Gateway

Good luck, I am not entirely sure if it is just a concidence that mine is working again or not.

Sep 10, 2012 3:38 PM in response to bevanfromhamilton

sorry to join this thread just now.

I am in Italy; I have(I have 6Mbps band, Airport Extreme+Airport Express, working fine with other downloads.

I have been trying trying to download a movie with SD and I am experiencing a very slow dowloads (from 6hrs->24hrs). Problem seems to be in common with many users, since very long time (I have seen forums on this subject from 2008). I have 2 questions:

- I have understood that slow download might be caused by DNS setting. How do I fix it?

- I do not see in my iTunes library the movie I rented (and I am tryng to see) . I can I do?

cheers

Slow downloading movies on Apple TV 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.