Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - word doc disappeared!

A word document I was working on and had just hit save and closed has disappeared from my mac. When I search for it in spotlight nothing comes up, when i manually look in every single document folder it isn't there. If i open word and 'open recent' it appears but it's a blank document as seen in the screenshot here, and it cannot locate the file. I can see the file extension where it was saved but the file itself is gone. I also have a Time Capsule and for some reason i cannot connect to it right now, so wondering if that is somehow connected. Do I restart and try again? It's an important article due now (journalist on deadline!!)

Please help if you can. Much appreciated.

See screenshot:

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 3:52 AM

9 replies

Aug 30, 2013 7:56 AM in response to epie01

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.

Apr 9, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Ashasu

I had the exact same problem which I managed to solve just after stopping myself having an anxiety attack over my work that i'd been working on for 2 weeks straight.

I went to "Trash", then going through all my "Recovered Files" folders and opening every single Word document in there with Text edit (if you try and open it with word it wont because its a .tmp file"

Had to open every single one and the last one ended up being the most updated version...

WHY EXACTLY my mac deleted my word document EVEN THOUGH I'VE BEEN SAVING THEM ALONG THE WAY, I will never know.

Apr 9, 2015 8:59 AM in response to BDAqua

this doesnt explain it...

I had already saved the file and it was in my documents folder upon start up before I started editing.

it then disappeared after I edited it and turned off my laptop, but instead of just not saving the changes, the entire document had been deleted 😐

So the article doesn't explain why the WHOLE document would suddenly be undiscoverable as there should at least have been the unedited version in my documents

Nov 24, 2015 10:58 PM in response to Ashasu

If you've already examined the autorecovery files in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 AutoRecovery and there's nothing, you're out of luck.

"Time machine" is a built-in backup tool that works with your Mac and an external drive, As the problem you described, I read it. The files deleted in Trash bin could be a different problem which Time machine can't solve. you can read this article and learn more. I hope it will help.

Maybe you can try uFlysoft Data Recovery for Mac, it can recover empty trash on Mac only in three steps:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

Help - word doc disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.