Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No DVD device present

With a movie DVD inserted into my Mac Book, I just tried running DVD
Player and got the following error message:

There was an initialization error
A valid DVD drive could not be found.[-70012]

Looking under Disc Burning in the hardware profile, I see:

No burning device was found. (etc)

Pressing the eject key has no effect. Holding down the trackpad button
while rebooting does not eject the DVD.

I'm confused. Help?

Josh

Mac Book Pro 1.83GHz

Posted on Mar 5, 2006 8:37 AM

11 replies

Mar 5, 2006 12:45 PM in response to Carlo TD

From the manual:

If you can’t eject the disc, quit any applications that might be using the disc and try again.

If that doesn’t work, restart the computer while holding down the trackpad
button.
--------------------------

So if the above works and you are able to finally get the disk ejected, then I would consider doing a few restarts and giving it a few more tries, maybe with a different disk or with a CD.

If you just can't get it working at all, then you'd better take to an apple store or send it in.

Has your MacBook ever been able to read any disks (CDs or DVDs)?

Apr 8, 2006 10:37 PM in response to ibid

to ibid -

Any resolution to this? I have the exact same problem. Bought MBP today (8 Apr), DVD sucked into drive - then nothing. No drive recognized and cannot eject DVD. Tried many time to eject during reboot - did not work.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Tom

imac g5 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Apr 9, 2006 6:35 AM in response to ibid

Thanks Josh - have an appointment today to get it checked out at the Apple Store. I have the "Walk the Line" dvd stuck inside. From what I read on your blog, it sounds like the folks at the Genius bar will not be able to get the disk to eject either. Hope I can get another dvd.

Thanks again for response.

Tom

No DVD device present

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.