Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image colour space -Incorrect when images Import - how to correct?

Does any body know how to correct this problem....

I've changed the colour space on my camera from Adobe 1998 to sRGB.

I've imported the sRGB images into Aperture.

Then checked the "Meta Date" "Profile Name" - This shows as AdobeRGB (1998)

This is incorrect - because it should show as: sRGB - the same as my colour space on the imported images.

Does any body know how to get the image "Profile Name" to read sRGB?

Thanks

Tony

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:16 AM

7 replies

Apr 26, 2012 8:25 AM in response to N14

Are you shooting RAW? RAW images have no color space (or more correctly the color space is the color capability of the image sensor in the camera) so Aperture assigns Adobe just to assign something. Aperture uses a wide gamut format internally.

You will need to decide on export what color space to use depending on how the image will be used.

If you're shooting JPG then the camera's setting should be showing in the metadata in Aperture but again as Aperture works in a wide gamut format it will have no affect. If this is the case, you are shooting JPG, post back.

regards

Apr 26, 2012 9:11 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank

"Aperture assigns Adobe just to assign something. Aperture uses a wide gamut format internally."

I have not seen this written before. Can you point me to that Apple notice. I know the internal wide gamut (Non linear) profile has a mystery secretive name, but I think the Adobe98 profile for viewing is wrong. I could be wrong and would luv to wrap my head around what Apple does do in CM handling.

I think Tony is importing tifs or jpgs but wanted to confirm that he is not shooting Raw +jpg and importing both. You are as usual correct about Raw not having a profile. I was going to suggest that he take a file that has imported wrong from his camera directly and place it on his desktop. Then open it in Colorsync Utility to see what profile it sees.

Cheers

Apr 26, 2012 9:34 AM in response to dbmoore

For your first question:

Setting your colorspace in Aperture

In contrast with Adobe Photoshop, you don't have to set your "workspace." Instead, Aperture will always work in a wide gamut, except for when you apply Onscreen Proofing,

(from Aperture: Color and gamma settings for print and web )

As for the assignment it is just from personal experience. Not having access to the source it is impossible to say for certain but in my case with a Canon 40d if I shoot JPG the camera setting is added to the metadata, if I shoot RAW Adobe RGB is in the metadata.

It is possible that the camera itself is filling in this field in RAW mode (actually thinking about it that is more probably than Aperture adding it) but in either case it is meaningless for RAW images,

Apr 26, 2012 11:11 AM in response to N14

Thanks Guy's

I shoot Raw on a 5 D

I carried out a test. I shot an image RAW in sRGB then imported this into Aperture.

In Aperture the colour space displayed as "Adobe 1998'

I changed the export settings to sRGB. Exported to Photoshop. Again, checked the colour settings = sRgb.

Things seem to be ok

Thanks again

Tony

Apr 26, 2012 11:32 AM in response to N14

AH you are shooting Raw. Sorry I missed that and Frank is right Raw is Raw it cannot be defined by a any camera settings. Not until it reaches a program like AP3, LR or ACR. AP3 shows my Raws ... colorspace unknown ... my profile space as A98. This is odd and something I didnt notice before. My onscreen proofing is always set at A98 but is turned off. Onscreen proofing should not play a part of this at this time. Would be nice if Profile space showed the name of the WideGaumet space that Apple says it uses internally, (not sure it really does).

Yes If you pick an export profile to export to you will get that profile. You can make a A98 export preset or a ProPhoto preset.

Cheers

Image colour space -Incorrect when images Import - how to correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.