Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Intel graphics, OpenGL and CS6

Currently I'm using an iMac in my home studio but I need to buy a notebook this summer for work, and I'll be using Adobe CS programs so I'll likely have to upgrade to CS6. I'd like to buy a 2.4 GHz 13" MacBook Pro to save a little money (since I have a killer iMac), but I notice the MacBooks now have Intel integrated graphics instead of nVidia. How is OpenGL 2.0 implemented on the Intel graphics chip? Does it work o.k.? I have a chance to buy a late-model 15" MacBook Pro with the discreet graphics card for not much more money, but I don't think I can afford a new MacBook Pro with discreet ATI graphics.

I am looking for advice: Do photoshop and illustrator work well on the Intel graphics chip?

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:54 AM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2013 7:34 AM in response to tmazzullo

Hi tmazzullo,

I can answer your question with "It depends". I am having issues with non NVidia Graphics Cards while working in Mountain Lion with Illustrator CS6 and applying shadows / effects to text and objects. Everytime I am trying to do this, illustrator crashes.

If I use a Mac with NVidia it works without any problems. But Intel or Radeon cards force illustrator to crash. I tested this very often on all versions of Mountain Lion so far released an on several Macs. Same result every time.

Everything else I use in Photoshop or Illustrator works like charm. No problems at all. The Intel HD 4000 is faster than the NVidia 9600M GT in my old MacBook Pro.

I am designing almost every day in Photoshop and every two days in Illustrator. I have not tested the 3D functions much, so I cannot give you any advice for this.

If you are sure you are not applying effects to your objects in Illustrator, go for the small portables.

Hope this helped.

Edit:

I have opened a discussion concerning this issue. So maybe there will be an update one day.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4956429

New Intel graphics, OpenGL and CS6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.