Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete parallels and windows 7 and then reinstall windows 7 in bootcamp, do I need a new windows 7 product key?

Quick Question

I have parallels with a Windows 7 virtual machine.

I want to uninstall parallels and the virtual machine Windows is running on

I want to reinstall Windows 7 on bootcamp so I cna improve performance when gaming, The small amount of ram that I am allowed to allocate to parallels just doesn't cut it performance wise anymore.

So my question is this

Once I Delete the copy of windows running in parallels, and do the reinstall, am I going to need a new product code from microsoft?

I am reinstalling on the same machine so logic says no, but I am going from a virtual install to a native install, not sure how microsoft will view this.

Thank you in advance

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:53 AM

4 replies

Apr 26, 2012 7:31 AM in response to lacey_deecee

You will be fine. You will need to re-enter the key during installation. If for some weird reason it does not work, just connect to the Microsoft key site when given the chance. Issuance of a new key is free and automated.

But there is no reason why your current product key won't work. You only have one installation of Windows. Even if you decided to install Windows using Boot Camp and then access this installation via your VM you would still be OK. Microsoft recognizes that even when accessing two ways, Boot Camp and a VM you still only have one installation of Windows.

The only time you will run into issues is if you install and use Windows more than once at the same time.

I want to delete parallels and windows 7 and then reinstall windows 7 in bootcamp, do I need a new windows 7 product key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.