Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine continuously backing up

Time machine is contuously backing up - it never stops - this slows down my computer.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:56 AM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2012 1:39 PM in response to BBLLLP

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Select "system.log" from the file list. Enter "backupd" (without the quotes) in the String Matching text field. Post the messages from the last backup, beginning with "Starting standard backup."

Post the log text, please, not a screenshot. If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Do not post many repetitions of the same message.

Some personal information, such as the names of your files, may be included — edit that out, too, but don’t remove the context.

Nov 5, 2013 3:23 PM in response to BBLLLP

I am having the same problem. I'm not sure I understood the instructions clearly but I did go into the console and typed in backupd and the following message appeared in the log. This is the only message listed from 10/31/13:

"Not starting time machine after wake-less than 60 minutes since laste back up completed."

My back up is a SS iomega and has 160 gigs available out of 250. The status bar says "indexing back up" but the bar is not active with its blue barber pole pattern like it was earlier today.

In the past I have had a few occasions where I accidently unplugged it and had to do an erase and start it anew. If that is a workable fix I have those instructions unless there is an easier fix

Thanks

ron

time machine continuously backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.