Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't keep past downloads in Downloads list

This problem I've been having started when the latest version of Safari moved from a Downloads window to a Downloads pop-up pane. My expectation as to how the pane should work is this: the 20 most recent downloads are shown in the list, and when a new download begins, the oldest download is removed from the list, thereby keeping the new list updated with the 20 latest downloads. My problem is that while the pane still keeps 20 past downloads listed, they're not always recent downloads. For example, when I download a file, the file will typically remain in the list until I begin a new download, at which point the slightly earlier download will be removed from the list, while even older downloads remain listed. So at the moment, listed are five recent downloads and fifteen downloads from many months ago, while downloads from days or hours ago have been removed from the list. This is incredible frustrating and unhelpful.

In Preferences I have (and always have) "Remove download list items" set to "Manually." Currently I am running the lasted versions of OSX (10.7.3) and Safari (5.1.5).

Thanks for any help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 10:03 AM

Hi Michael ...

Quit Safari.

Go to ~/Library/Safari

For Lion v10.7x: To find the Home folder in OS X Lion, open the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose Go > Library

Move the Downloads.plist file from the Safari folder to the Trash.

Relaunch Safari to test.

7 replies

May 2, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Michael Westbourne

Hi Michael...

Try troubleshooting the Safari .plist file (preferences)

Quit Safari.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari.

You may have to test for awhile to see if that made a difference. If so, move that .plist file to the Trash. If not, move it back to the Preferences folder.

And try deleting the Cache.db file located in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari

That may help also.

If you have a third party download manager installed, try disabling that.

Safari doesn't keep past downloads in Downloads list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.