Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'p' key is somehow mapped to 'mute'

Sometime in the last week the 'p' key on my MacBook Pro (2008) keyboard started to behave like the "mute" key, so that any time I type 'p' it additionally mutes/unmutes the volume and pops up the transparent volume indicator on the screen. This is highly aggravating but I have yet to figure out what caused this or how to correct this. I've verified that the Keyboard Shortcuts in the Keyboard preference pane doesn't have anything for mute (I don't see 'mute' as an option there at all), so any other suggestions would be very welcome.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:54 PM

11 replies

Sep 7, 2012 4:21 AM in response to random.vamp

This sounds disturbingly familiar to a problem I have.

My late model 2009 mbp's hard drive was failing, causing all sorts of I/O errors, including random key events and remappings. I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled from scratch, and transferred NOTHING to the new install. the I/O events have stopped triggering wildly, but the remappings stayed. For me, the following keys all trigger the mute button:

0 - p \ ; / <enter>

Since the problem survived an os reinstall, that suggests it is a hardware issue rather than a software one.

Playing with an arduino should not have affected anything. Not saying it didn't, but it shouldn't have. Whatever firmware that exists that handles the keyboard is more or less untouchable.

Binarian

Sep 7, 2012 10:34 AM in response to binarian

Yeah, I have a suspicion that this is some odd hardware problem, conveniently cropping up after AppleCare expires. I haven't been able to find any solution to it yet, I may try cracking it open to see if I can find any internal issues as I now have another laptop from work I can use in the mean time. Let me know if you happen to uncover anything.

Mar 18, 2013 5:42 AM in response to dodg

Unfortunately, no. I ended up getting a new laptop (it was time for an upgrade anyway). I took the old one to a non-apple repair store in NYC and they repaired it pretty well. Only one or two extra keys trigger the mute key now, which is an improvement over the entire right half of the keyboard. In any case, I have turned down the volume al the way, and don't use that machine for anything involving audio.

I know it *****, but if you can afford a new machine, it's not a terrible way to go. You can still use the old one for research purposes or something. A second monitor is great for most applications, but a second machine altogether, I have found, is even better.

Binarian

Dec 7, 2015 8:56 PM in response to binarian

I had exactly the same problem today, oddly with the same keys.

Do you know what worked for me?

The goodn´old BLOW 😁

I gave a very strong blow over the problematic keys - in special the F10 key, which I could see was triggering by itself and very sensitive. One might try to take the keys off and clean instead.

Anyone could try that and give a feedback to see if it worked too?

May 10, 2016 1:49 PM in response to AMBSC

Pressing really hard on the problem keys helped me. It's definitely a piece of dust or crud that gets knocked loose that causes this behavior with the volume buttons.

I have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the keyboard. That fixed the problem for a few weeks. But the crud must still be in there because the problem came back. That's when I tried blowing and pressing.

'p' key is somehow mapped to 'mute'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.