Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forcing HD Netflix downloads on the new AppleTV (?)

Does anyone know a way to force Netflix on my new (3rd generation) AppleTV to try to stream in HD, even if it thinks I should be using a lower resolution?

Here's why I ask:

I live in a rural area with less-than-stellar internet options. So my available bandwidth hovers just above or just below the minimum recommended for streaming Netflix movies in HD. If I try to watch Netflix movies on my new AppleTV, it often chooses a lower quality resolution for me.

Now, I am prepared to be patient in waiting a few minutes for my Netflix streaming movie to begin in HD (and to endure some streaming hiccups during the course of the movie). I'd rather wait a bit and get high-quality video than to be forced to watch something in 720 or even lower quality.

However, as far as I can see, the new AppleTV offers no way to tell it: "No, I really do want to try to stream this in a better quality than what you've detected I should."

On my MacBook, there is a simple way to accomplish this: When a Netflix streaming movie begins, just hit ctrl-option-shift-m. This brings up a menu which allows me to access a Stream Manager, in which I manually can tell Netflix to use a higher buffering rate. Once that's been indicated, it will take 30-90 seconds for the movie to start loading, but after that I get a HD-quality stream which (mostly) does not stutter.

Unfortunately, I can't find a similar trick for the new AppleTV. Any suggestions? This really would improve my day-to-day movie-watching life immensely.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 2:27 PM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2012 3:57 PM in response to vazandrew

That's really unfortunate if it's the case. I definitely have the ability to watch Netflix in HD at my location, as proven by the workaround on my laptop. Yet my brand new 3rd gen AppleTV is blocking that capability, ostensibly in my own interest...

If necessary, I may be able to figure out a way to stream Netflix content to my AppleTV from the laptop (at the HD resolution per my discussion above). But it will involve a lot of complicated hacks and 3rd-party apps.

Meanwhile rumor has it that streaming from the desktop may be a feature of the next iteration of OSX, due this summer. But it would be so much simpler <tm Steve Jobs> if I could just do it with one wave of the hand on the Apple TV itself. It's supposed to be a turnkey solution, after all.

Apr 26, 2012 5:47 PM in response to Taghkanic

Thats how it works in it's current state. The ATV itself is not blocking anything, it's Netflix that determines the playback based on your connection (you already stated that you hovering at the minimum so you have to force HD on the laptop). The ATV does try to give the highest quality at any rate

There will be Mac mirroring with Mountain Lion. You can provide feedback on this Netflix feature if you wish

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 27, 2012 11:33 PM in response to Taghkanic

Actually, on the PC/MAC it is possible to force Netflix into it's highest resolution right on down to it's lowest.

On pc, hit ctrl+alt+shift+S

On mac, replace alt with option

http://www.rewatchable.com/manually-force-hd-playback-on-netflix-watch-instantly /

this is the article where I learned how.

It does work... try it yourself on the pc/mac. No hacks needed. Shows up a little window with like 4 to 5 speed options. The option at the top is the lowest resolution buffer, the one at the bottom of the window is the highest HD resolution buffer. You need 5Mb/s or higher for this to not need "rebuffering" I think. But my 3Mb/s connection works with like I think 5 to 10 minutes of buffer.

I'm currently looking for a way to force HD with the Blu-Ray player I have Netflix on.

Jan 6, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Taghkanic

To get Netflix HD streaming on either device (ATV, PS3, Mobile Devices, Blue-ray...), You simply open you browser, enter to www.netflix.com, Sign In, go to "Your Account" (Top-Right main page), then click on "Manage Video Quality" (found on Left-Column 'YOUR STREAMING PLAN') and select the one option it suits you better out of the three you're given.

Jan 6, 2013 9:50 AM in response to MakaRonSk8

Thank you for the information. The thing is, this does not neccissarily force it into it's highest resolution available. It does stream it "HD", but it's the 1050 stream and not the 3000 stream (if you stream via the website you can hit select + alt + left mouse, and you get the stream manager and can manually force it into it's highest 3000 stream which is 1080p I believe... where as by default it's a highly compressed 720p and will not go above this unless you have 4M/S or higher connection... I'm currious as to if there is a way to manually force it into it's highest 3000 stream on a blu-ray player or any other device?

Mar 25, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Outside the Octaves

I'm curious as to if there is a way to manually force it into it's highest 3000 stream

Me too. I have looked high and low to find a way to actually force the device (not the website) to give me a better stream. I have my settings set to the highest possible in the Netflix account, but when using a browser I have to force it to use a higher HD stream (which it handles no problem whatsoever and plays beautiful HD) but there's no way at all to do the same with ATV that I've found.

There must be a setting somewhere in either the Netflix ATV app or ATV itself? Please tell me that's the case somebody?

Forcing HD Netflix downloads on the new AppleTV (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.