Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with editable text box on master page

I'm just starting out with Pages templates. Everything is going smoothly, except this. I would like to have a text box at the top of each page for a header, and the text in the header will vary from page to page. I created a text box with some styles for header and subhead. I move it to the Master Section, and then is locked. I change things to Make Master Objects Selectable and I can edit the text, but then it changes on all pages.

I'd like my Master Objects to be locked, so that they don't get accidentally moved around, but I'd like a box to be present on all pages in which the text can be edited, without affecting the other pages with the same box. Clearly I'm doing something wrong and missing something. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:01 PM

11 replies

Apr 26, 2012 9:39 PM in response to Walt K

I'm using a text box. I described it as a header because it is a header to the page, not because it is a defined header in Pages parlance. If it's less confusing, maybe I should say "how can I add a text box as a master object that can contain different content on each page." As I've described, I've simply made a text box a master object and when I edit it it changes across pages.

I need this to be very flexible, so I can't solve this by adding a bunch of sections. ** this was only added in anticipation of this solution being offered by somebody in the future, as I've seen it suggested during my Googling **

Message was edited by: Imaginary

Apr 27, 2012 7:38 AM in response to Imaginary

OK, based on what I've been reading in this thread I tried a few things and now I understand sections a bit more. I'm able to change the content of the header when I add the same section design as a new section, which solves my problem (except that I still need to leave all other Master Objects selectable, which I don't want). Also, I end up with overlapping text areas in the new section, one of which I need to delete and then all is fine. From my descriptions of what I've done can anyone see why that would happen?

Apr 27, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Imaginary

You haven't said what all your needs are for this document, but you may find that Page Layout mode is a better fit than Word Processing mode. Word Processing gives you many more options and features, but sometimes we trip over the Word Processing feature clutter. If you have things overlapping, they aren't under control. The Page Layout mode simplifies the situation and where things go is completely up to you.

Jerry

Apr 27, 2012 11:19 PM in response to Imaginary

Your problem is that you want a section that isn't a section.

Don't put things that you want to be different in a Header, which is designed for things to look the same.

If you want a different head at the top of each page, put one there and style it in the Styles Drawer.

It is only text which apparently you want to look a certain way. That is a Style.

Peter

Apr 28, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

I keep trying to write an explanation and it keeps getting too long. Here it is in a nutshell: my client wants a template for proposals. Each page could have a head and subhead (everyone please stop telling me about "headers." I just mean "head" here in a graphic design sense.) or might not have one. There is a linked text box (the default one, I can't figure out how to make my own or get rid of that one) that flows through the document. I have a footer, with a company name and address, and a header, with a company logo, that remain in place throughout the document. What I want is an editable text box, that is positioned in the upper area of the template, and can have a head and subhead entered into it, or not. I have the styles created.

I would have liked to have my master elements remain locked, i.e. not selectable, but my text box would become uneditable when I uncheck that option. I would like it so that my client can just enter text and when it overflows the page it just adds another page for her with a new textbox for her optional header, and the copy continuing to flow in the main text box. I have several styles for her for various content types, but the layout is very simple and I think it should be suitable for Word Processing mode. I'm just missing something with the spare textbox. I have confidence that my client can handle the styling of text, but I think the "sections" concept is going to befuddle her and I'll be forced to redo this in MS Word, which I am trying my hardest to avoid.

Is this clear? Thanks!

Apr 28, 2012 5:27 PM in response to Imaginary

Here are some choices you will have to make.

Each page could have a head and subhead (everyone please stop telling me about "headers." I just mean "head" here in a graphic design sense.) or might not have one.

If this head and sub-head are to be separated from the text flowing through the document, have a (more or less) fixed position on the page, and are to be changeable from page to page, they will need to be put into independent floating text boxes.

A floating text box's location is defined by its position relative to the top left corner of the document section. That position is fixed until the user changes it. The position may be locked, but doing so also locks the box's content.

A floating text box will maintain its location, but will not display if the page on which it is located does not exist.

Word processing documents create new pages on the fly. A new page is created when the text stream requires a new page. If the text stream is shortened, and requires fewer pages than before, then the unneeded pages disappear.

So one possibility is to create a 10 page word processor document containing only nine page break characters in the text stream.

Set the Page Headers and Footers as tou want them.

Then place a text box inside the margins at the top left corner of the text field of the first page. Enter and Style a dummy header and subheader into the box, then size the box to fit the width of the page (or the maximum width of the text expected in this header. Ensure that the Wrap property has been set to wrap text around the box.

Copy the header, then scroll down and paste it as a floating object and position it at the same location on each subsequent page.

(SEE NOTE below re: Capturing pages before next step.)

Click in the text layer, select all, then press delete to delete the nine page breaks.

The document will drop back to showing only one page, with the Header/Subheader text box. As text is added to the text stream, new pages (with a copy of the Header/Subheader text box will be added as needed—up to page 10. When needed, page 11 will be added, but will not contain a text box.

At this point, the user can either

Select and Copy one of the existing boxes, then paste it onto the new page as a floating object, and position it as needed,

OR

Insert a new Section containing a new set of 10 pages,

move a block of text beginning near the end of page 10, and continuing to (but not including) the section break at the end of the current text stream, into the new section (this should result in the current page 11 disappearing),

remove the Page breaks from the new pages, and remove the section break on page 10, then

carry on as before.

NOTE: In order to be able to insert the new section/set of pages, it is necessary to have Captured this set of pages at the point in the instructions indicated by the "SEE NOTE" above. Capture Pages is in the Advanced section of the Format menu. Choose "All Pages", and name the capture "New Set". It will be added to the Sections button in the toolbar.

There is a linked text box (the default one, I can't figure out how to make my own or get rid of that one) that flows through the document. I have a footer, with a company name and address, and a header, with a company logo, that remain in place throughout the document. What I want is an editable text box, that is positioned in the upper area of the template, and can have a head and subhead entered into it, or not.

No time to add comments on this part, other than Linked Text boxes are unnecessary in a word processing document. They are used to flow text from page to page in a page layout document. But in a Page Layout document, each page is a separate Section, something you indicated you wanted to avoid.

Regards,

Barry

Trouble with editable text box on master page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.