Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Template Placeholder Text

So, I've read all of the tips, tricks, and manuals I can find and followed the directions regarding creating placeholder text in a custom template.

All is well except that, after saving my template, creating a new document with the newly-created template, when I click on the area that I designated as placeholder text, the surrounding textbox is selected. I don't want that. I just want the placeholder text to highlight like it does on all of the other templates.

What have I missed?

Thanks in advance.

iWork '09 Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:37 PM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2012 10:13 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This sounded like it could've been the culprit, however... upon looking into it I discovered that, when the text box itself is selected, the Format>Advanced>Define as placeholder text menu is grayed out/disabled. So, it appears as though marking a textbox as placeholder text isn't possible. 😟 I wish that would've been the issue though. Would've been a quick fix.

Apr 30, 2012 10:51 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Ah. My apologies!

It seems I have more work to do. I thought I was a pretty decent user of Pages, but apparently I still have quite a bit to learn 🙂.

The reason I say that is because... the only way that I know to insert text in specific places while preserving the layout of certain elements is by adding floated textboxes. Thanks for helping me see I didn't know that I didn't know. (goes back to User's guide).

Have a great day.

Custom Template Placeholder Text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.