Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut to open Preview?

When I want to scroll through a folder with pictures, I usually drag the folder from the Finder to the Preview icon in my dock. Is there a way to open Preview with a keyboard shortcut?

I know about pressing the spacebar to open Quicklook, but I prefer Preview.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 5:04 AM

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Maybe there is a simpler solution, but you can bind custom keyboard shortcuts to services.

So to open the items in a folder in Preview define a Service "OpenFolderInPreview" and assign a keyboard shortcut to it in the keyboard shortcuts tab of the "keyboard" system Preferences.

To create the Service:

• Open Automator and create a new service. Set it to receive files and folders.
  • Drag a "Get Folder Content" action to the workflow.
  • Drag a "Open Images in Preview" action to the workflow.

Save and name the Service.

To register the Service:

• Open "System Preferences" and open the "Keyboard" panel.
  • Click the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab
  • Click "Services" in the left column.
  • Select your new service in the right column; click the "Add Shortcut" button and press a Key Combination.

Good Luck

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2012 5:04 AM in response to Bart1977

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Maybe there is a simpler solution, but you can bind custom keyboard shortcuts to services.

So to open the items in a folder in Preview define a Service "OpenFolderInPreview" and assign a keyboard shortcut to it in the keyboard shortcuts tab of the "keyboard" system Preferences.

To create the Service:

• Open Automator and create a new service. Set it to receive files and folders.
  • Drag a "Get Folder Content" action to the workflow.
  • Drag a "Open Images in Preview" action to the workflow.

Save and name the Service.

To register the Service:

• Open "System Preferences" and open the "Keyboard" panel.
  • Click the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab
  • Click "Services" in the left column.
  • Select your new service in the right column; click the "Add Shortcut" button and press a Key Combination.

Good Luck

Léonie

Jan 18, 2015 2:42 PM in response to léonie

BUG: KEYBOARD SHORTCUT KEYS DO NOT ALWAYS ACTIVATE A SERVICE (A WORKFLOW)

When you assign a keyboard shortcut to a Service (such as a Service Workflow created in Automator) using the System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, if that shortcut key combination includes the Command key, pressing that shortcut will always successfully activate the Service. No problem there.

However, shortcut key combinations that do not include the Command key (for example, the shortcut key combo Ctrl-Shift-D) WILL NOT activate the Service in any newly opened application, until you click on the Services Menu option in that application.

For more info, see THIS THREAD.

Keyboard shortcut to open Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.