Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto event/album thumbnails missing

Since updating

iPhoto '11 ver. 9.2.3 (629.52)

the event key photos are missing (Picture 1) and the thumbnails for the actual photos are missing as well (Picture 2). I have not reinstalled iPhoto nor have i taken any other actions to solve this issue. the image files are still present and within the iPhoto library (Picture 3) however this issue is purely cosmetic.

note: I have rudimentary technical literacy and i have tried troubleshooting through the support web-site/several forums.

please advise.

User uploaded file

(Picture 1 above)

User uploaded file

(Picture 2 above)

User uploaded file

(Picture 3 Above)

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:48 AM

6 replies

May 24, 2012 4:33 AM in response to dhjinn

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Jul 3, 2012 7:42 AM in response to dhjinn

I had the same issue and finally found a common link in the problem. There are a number of files that seem to have extensions missing. Whatever happened in the upgrade many extensions got dropped. I had to go in and export the images, add the extension and reimport them. I am looking for a faster way to do this, but it seems to work.

Unfortunatly this happened to .pct, .jpg, .avi, and many other files and I am slowly figuring out which is which. Quicktime 7 does a good job at figuring them out without the extension.

iPhoto event/album thumbnails missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.