Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlocked iPhone

I requested to UNlock my old iPhone from AT&T, gave them the IMEI number. Apple never did send me an email after I waited several days at all. I went back to AT&T online chat this morning & gave them the case number. She said that Apple sent me an email with instructions to unlock the phone. That was a lie! They never sent that email at all. She gave the the link with instructions to connect the iPhone to the computer (MacBook Pro) and open ITunes then Restore from a backup. Did that but my question is:

How can I tell if my iPhone is UNLOCKED now?

Thanks in advance for responding. 🙂

iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:02 AM

12 replies

Apr 27, 2012 1:56 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Thank you very much for responding. Between AT&T and the Apple tech support, I felt like a football getting passed back & forth all morning. Each company disclaims responsibility for accurate information. I'm using a MacBook Pro and after going through the "restore from backup" in iTunes, there was never that "Congratulations your phone is now unlocked" message popup at all. That's why I started calling AT&T & Apple and ended up getting spun around like a hamster on a treadmill ~~~ accomplishing nothing. I have not tried another SIM card from another carrier but will ask my neighbor which carrier she uses. Hopefully, it's a gsm carrier (Verizon doesn't use sim cards).

Do you have any other solutions to this issue please?

🙂

Apr 27, 2012 2:22 PM in response to fitzie63

From my knowledge of the situation, the email should come from AT&T, not Apple. And instead of Restoring from a Backup, you should just be doing a Restore.

So make a backup first of course (Right click name> Backup). Then normally click the name of the phone so you get the Summary page (with the name, storage, serial number, etc. on it), and click Restore, or Restore and Update, whichever you see.

At the end of THAT process you should receive the 'Congratulations your phone is now unlocked!' message.

Then once you finish setting up your unlocked phone, you can select to Restore from Backup (this option will come riiight at the end of the set-up process on the phone itself), and get all your stuff back

-ThatGuy

Apr 27, 2012 5:30 PM in response to ThatguyfromThatplace

Oh my goodness .... Are you sure you're not Apple's CEO? If not, you should be very high up on the Company's career ladder.

I was about to take this silly dinosaur of the 3G iPhone in to the sales manager where I bought it years ago and he was going to test it with a T-mobile SIM card to see if it was actually unlocked. I was about to head down there (a 40 mile round trip) when your message with CORRECT instructions arrived in my email.

I followed YOUR instructions and, after I hit the RESTORE button instead of following that liar AT&T employee's web link instructions, iTunes automatically updated the software (there was new stuff there even after I updated it this morning) then in went into it's little factory restore iPhone dance to my Mexican cumbia music. After all was said and done (it took a super long time even with this rapid-fire MacBook Pro I bought a few weeks ago, loaded), VOILA! Up popped the long awaited message:

"Congratulations! Your iPhone is now unlocked and ready for activation".

I cannot thank you enough. Now, would you please go re-educate those liars working for AT&T? This experiences clinches my one year plan, i.e. AT&T is going to be dumped when the contract expires. Planning to go to a no-contract cell phone program instead. You are the best of the very best. Right now, am in the process of restoring from the backup to get all my apps, etc. back. Have a great weekend.

😍 Claire

unlocked iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.